leader size for creeks and streams

Post your Fly Fishing tips and techniques here.

Moderators: Felix, jimmycrown

fr2772
Ensign
Ensign

leader size for creeks and streams

Postby fr2772 » Nov Wed 25, 2015 8:46 pm

I've heard that a 9 or 10 ft leader is what you should use for these small creeks and streams here in Northwest Indiana then I've also heard that as short as 5 ft is best. I've been told to set it up like normal fly fishing and also that a short leader with a swivel then tipit works best...

Any thoughts or advice?

I'm mainly fishing for steelhead if that makes a difference.
fisherdee
Captain
Captain

Re: leader size for creeks and streams

Postby fisherdee » Nov Thu 26, 2015 4:50 am

I always used sinking tip line, short fluorocarbon leader, 4 to 5 foot usually 10# test
"Retired - Now I only fish the good days, not just the off days!"
http://www.fisherdee.wordpress.com
teardrop
Commander
Commander

Postby teardrop » Nov Thu 26, 2015 6:25 am

I use a polyleader if swinging deep usually 10 foot 1.5 inch sink rate or faster depending on current and depth but I'm fishing for Browns up north pm and Manistee. Flora carbon is good also with the swivel and tippet. You can use a bobber that way also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was charmed to learn that the pygmies of the Ituri forest cure eye infections by urinating in the bad eye(Trout Madness,1960).
fr2772
Ensign
Ensign

Postby fr2772 » Nov Sat 28, 2015 9:09 am

When you're swinging do you weight your fly or use shot or both depending on the current? I'm new to the whole fly fishing experience, so I've really only drifted all my flies under a indicator. Nymphs seam to be easy, just keep them near the bottom... As for buggers, egg sucking leaches and anything else with marabou should those be drifted or swung??
Thanks for the leader advice
teardrop
Commander
Commander

Postby teardrop » Nov Sun 29, 2015 7:51 am

Swing the buggers or slow retrieve, with a sinking line and polyleader no weight needed. If the fly is weighted heavily can cause hanging bottom a lot. I always weighted my buggers but lately with the polyleader I have used less and less weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was charmed to learn that the pygmies of the Ituri forest cure eye infections by urinating in the bad eye(Trout Madness,1960).
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Postby Prybis » Nov Sun 29, 2015 10:04 am

There is no real short answer. There are many things that will determine this. What size rod, single or double handed? What size fly? How are you fishing it, top bottom, or mid level? How fast, clear, and deep is the water? Lastly, what are you fishing for? All these will come into play. If you want to keep it simple to start, just divide your fly size by 3 and this is the correct size tippet for the fly you are using. Next thing to answer, do the fish spook easy? If yes, use fluorocarbon; if no, use mono.
Mike P.

Return to “Fly Fishing”