Switch Rod

Post your Fly Fishing tips and techniques here.

Moderators: Felix, jimmycrown

Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Switch Rod

Postby Prybis » Nov Fri 27, 2015 9:39 pm

I have 2 different switch rods that I hardly use. I decided it was time to put these to good use. Since my casting is not all that I took a casting lesson on Monday. Mike Exel from Wildcat Creek Outfitters gave me the lesson on Monday. I felt more cofindent to actually fish my switch rods after getting some pointers to help improve my casting. Armed with my new knowledge I went to Brookville, on Wednesday to swing flies for some trout. The water was Just over 4.5 feet and they where dumping almost 1000 CFS. Water was stained a little but not to dark. I got some practice on my double spey cast. Although I did not catch any trout, I did catch a walleye. I was really shocked to have caught one. It might have been 14" but since I did not have a tape measure I will call it 12". I released him to fight another day. Two others I went with, did not get anything but did have a couple hookups and follows. Was a good day to enjoy the tailwaters. I was using my GLoomis 5WT Pro 4X switch rod with an Ambush 9wt triangle taper line. This loads the rod real nicely. Add some 10' tips to help the anchor, and it is right on the money.
Mike P.
teardrop
Commander
Commander

Re: Switch Rod

Postby teardrop » Nov Sat 28, 2015 7:48 am

Mike sounds like a good time if you go again keep me in mind if I can get away love to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was charmed to learn that the pygmies of the Ituri forest cure eye infections by urinating in the bad eye(Trout Madness,1960).
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Postby Prybis » Nov Sat 28, 2015 1:40 pm

May be a while for me. My waders have a hole in them and I may have to send them back to Simms to be fixed.
Mike P.
teardrop
Commander
Commander

Postby teardrop » Nov Sun 29, 2015 7:42 am

Got a hole in mine from last trip. Gonna try shoe goop heard it works. Worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was charmed to learn that the pygmies of the Ituri forest cure eye infections by urinating in the bad eye(Trout Madness,1960).
teardrop
Commander
Commander

Postby teardrop » Dec Thu 03, 2015 3:39 am

Mike what flies were you using on Brookville tail water? I assume streamers but you never mentioned, I know you were swinging, did you do any nymphing? Just call me curious, I have had good luck on walleye with leach patterns, tied the same as a bugger but instead of marabou for tail I used peacock herl about two shank lengths long about 6-8, and a few 6-8 rubber legs mixed with the herl. They have a slower action than the traditional bugger patterns. The peacock can be fragile by it self, the rubber legs seem to help with that. If I get sometime i'll tye up a couple and have Yooper help me post pictures.
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Postby Prybis » Dec Fri 04, 2015 9:29 pm

I used a belly-dancer sculpin pattern I picked up at Cabela's. I did not do any nymphing. The one guy I was with did and had a few hits and follows. He did have one on for a short 20 seconds.
Mike P.

Return to “Fly Fishing”