My fly fishing set up. Acceptable?

Post your Fly Fishing tips and techniques here.

Moderators: Felix, jimmycrown

NWIangler
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

My fly fishing set up. Acceptable?

Postby NWIangler » Mar Thu 30, 2017 8:20 pm

Im no stranger to fly fishing. I love the sport. Ive been fly fishing for 5 years now and im wondering if my rig is acceptable. What i do is attach 2 feet of 14 pound test "iron silk" to the fly line and then do a loop to loop connection with the iron silk and whatever pound test im using. I dont use tippets. I dont see a need for them. I can still cast a mile with out it. Why do you use a tippet?
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Re: My fly fishing set up. Acceptable?

Postby Prybis » Mar Fri 31, 2017 10:03 am

Tipper is usually thinner than the same pound test line. Do I always use tippet material for a tippet? No. I have used 4# fluorocarbon from small spools as tippet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike P.
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Postby Prybis » Mar Fri 31, 2017 10:07 am

When most people are talking about tippet, they are referring to the last part of what ever leader setup they are using. It is the end that the fly attaches to, and is usually the weakest part of the leader setup. I would much rather have the tippet break in case of a hang up than to loose the whole leader or even fly line.

Mike P.
teardrop
Commander
Commander

Postby teardrop » Mar Fri 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Prybis wrote:When most people are talking about tippet, they are referring to the last part of what ever leader setup they are using. It is the end that the fly attaches to, and is usually the weakest part of the leader setup. I would much rather have the tippet break in case of a hang up than to loose the whole leader or even fly line.

Good point Mike. If you are building your own leaders which all the old trout guys did for good turn over and presentation the tippet was the last step down on the leader. If I'm using a tapered leader that cost 3-6 bucks I'm use the same size tippet so I don't wear it out so quick. If I'm casting for gills or crappie all I use is four pound mono no need for perfect presentation or the leader spooking the fish, bluegills and crappie don't spook from being line shadowed on the cast like trout or bass in super clear water.

Was charmed to learn that the pygmies of the Ituri forest cure eye infections by urinating in the bad eye(Trout Madness,1960).
turk
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby turk » May Tue 09, 2017 9:10 pm

I fish for nothing smaller than bass. I use a 17# mono to either a 10# or 8 # mono or flouro straight to the fly

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Return to “Fly Fishing”