cleaning trash from the lake is rewarding

General Fishing Talk

Moderator: bubbagill

Steve
IA TEAM MEMBER

cleaning trash from the lake is rewarding

Postby Steve » Apr Wed 26, 2017 5:53 pm

I always pick up any trash I see. In fact one of the things I carry in my gear is a garbage bag. Today Karma smiled on me for my good behavior. I went out fishing off the dock. I saw a tiny bobber behind the neighbors boat. So I went to retrieve it so any line wouldn't get tangled in his motor. I ended up pulling this up with the bobber. Just shows, it's always worth picking up trash from the lake. Sometimes you even get rewarded extra for it. Nice Zebco Adventure telescoping rod and matching reel. Just need to unstick the last section and clean and oil the reel.

Knight Of The Precariously Skewed Table
Nobote
Captain
Captain

Re: cleaning trash from the lake is rewarding

Postby Nobote » Apr Wed 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Nice find. Sully and I clean up the bank and boat launches...when the rivers low we wade to look for lures. He usually does bettern me,
You never see a fishing boat parked in front of a psychiatrists office .....
Salt
2010 IA Deerhunting Co-Champ, 2011 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 IA Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Walleye HOF X2
2010 IA Deerhunting Co-Champ, 2011 IA Mushroom Contest Champion,  IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 IA  Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Deerhunting Champion,  2014 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Walleye HOF X2

Postby Salt » Apr Wed 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Nice job Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image Image Image Image
natahka72
Captain
Captain

Postby natahka72 » Apr Wed 26, 2017 9:32 pm

:tup :tup
fishlips
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion

Postby fishlips » Apr Thu 27, 2017 6:27 am

BONUS!!
Steve
IA TEAM MEMBER

Postby Steve » Apr Thu 27, 2017 6:46 am

I'll empty my pockets and wade right in to get trash or goodies from the water. It has always just seemed like the right thing to do. I even walk the banks here at the lake and pull out sticks after storms go through. My neighbors thank me for it but once again it just seems like the right thing to do. I have the time and it helps keep the waterway safe and clean. Bobbers, lures and now a rod/reel are just a bonus.
Steve
IA TEAM MEMBER

Postby Steve » Apr Thu 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Tore the reel down and cleaned and oiled it. Works and looks like new. A little PB Blaster on the tip section joint over night. Then used a rubber glove to protect it while gripping it with pliers. Tapped the pliers with a hammer and it broke loose finally. Set it up for panfish and gave it a few casts to make sure it works. Next kid I see that needs a rod is going to be really happy.
Greg2ha
Commander
Commander

Postby Greg2ha » Apr Sun 30, 2017 7:30 am

Cool
Steve
IA TEAM MEMBER

Postby Steve » May Mon 01, 2017 7:22 am

Like all closed faced reels I've ever seen this one is more of a pain than it's worth. Why someone can't make on that works well is beyond me. Anyways, the tackle box of free goodies I got from a new member had a spinning reel in it. Nothing fancy. Just an all plastic (including the spool) cheap reel. It works well and cast well so I mounted it on the rod. Since the rod is a telescoping model it worked out nicely because I could turn the handle 180*. I'm going to remove the trigger so it doesn't stick up in the way. Set it up with 4 lb and a slip bobber. Then took it out to the lake. It cast really well and worked flawlessly. It is still going to make a good beginner rod for some kid. Just a less annoying one.
handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby handyandy » May Fri 05, 2017 1:58 pm

I fish the white river a decent amount around me among other smaller rivers around me. It never ceisus to amaze me what I find sometimes. I always try and pick up some trash whenever I'm out on the rivers. More than I can ever get on my own, but I try and do my part. The trash can in my garage is a old 55 gal plastic barrel I found washed up on the bank of the white. One time on the lower muscatatuck my jet drive sucked up a old bed comforter. That thing was gross pulled it out of the water and threw it away when I got home. Irritates the crap out of me in popular bank fishing spots primarily the ramps how many soda/beer cans, worm cartons, soda cups and crap I always find that people just leave.
why does everything have to get in the way of fishing and hunting?

Return to “Fishing Chat”