Bluegill Limits.

General Fishing Talk

Moderator: bubbagill

Notoriousjmc
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bluegill Limits.

Postby Notoriousjmc » Jul Sat 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Stemming from a previous thread in a different area of this great forum we have...what are your thoughts on Indiana's current lack of limit for bluegill? Reason I ask is because it seems that overfishing and overharvest is killing the size of my area. I'm just as guilty as the next guy when I say I've gone home with over 50 8-10" gills for a few days in a row during the spawn and am now seeing the consequences. My local lake used to be a honey hole of 10 to 11" gills. I'd go as far to say as it could have at one time held a state record. Well, the last two years the fishing has been ok at best with the average size in the 7-9" area. I've personally seen guys on the ice with over 100 gills sitting next to them. Should the state make a daily limit or do you all think it should stay the same? Please no bashing each other. This is a friendly question. I myself love bluegill but at the same time it does get annoying when I catch nothing but 5-7" gills who swallow the hook and then have to be harvested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
turk
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Bluegill Limits.

Postby turk » Jul Sat 01, 2017 7:28 pm

It's happening all over around here. I noticed it at rosser over the last several years

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Notoriousjmc
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Notoriousjmc » Jul Sat 01, 2017 7:33 pm

Interesting point is that with crappie the size has seemed to stay relatively consistent. I have a good friend who moved here from Minnesota 2 years ago and was absolutely shocked when we said we were keeping 8" gills and had no limit. I don't think I need to remind anyone of the fishery that is Minnesota. (I know I know land of 10000 lakes)

Rico
2011 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up, 2012 IA Icefishing Champion, 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2013 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2016 Mushroom Contest Champion
2011 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up, 2012 IA Icefishing Champion, 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2013 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2016 Mushroom Contest Champion

Postby Rico » Jul Sat 01, 2017 9:55 pm

I have always been an advocate of this state having a limit on gills. We got it on crappie, we got it on redear.......but not on bluegill. But I also must point out that there is no closed season on anything. Some states have that. Just my thoughts for now.
G&G Ice Pro Staff
Notoriousjmc
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Notoriousjmc » Jul Sat 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Rico wrote:I have always been an advocate of this state having a limit on gills. We got it on crappie, we got it on redear.......but not on bluegill. But I also must point out that there is no closed season on anything. Some states have that. Just my thoughts for now.

Good point. I think closing the season until after the spawn would eliminate the elimination of most of the trophy gills but would sure be lousy for us as anglers. Kind of a catch 22.

Rico

Postby Rico » Jul Sat 01, 2017 10:02 pm

Notoriousjmc wrote:Good point. I think closing the season until after the spawn would eliminate the elimination of most of the trophy gills but would sure be lousy for us as anglers. Kind of a catch 22.

Add to that you never know when the spawn is gonna be?
G&G Ice Pro Staff
Notoriousjmc
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Notoriousjmc » Jul Sat 01, 2017 10:03 pm

Rico wrote:
Notoriousjmc wrote:Good point. I think closing the season until after the spawn would eliminate the elimination of most of the trophy gills but would sure be lousy for us as anglers. Kind of a catch 22.

Add to that you never know when the spawn is gonna be?

Another great point. In NWI that could be March-August LOL!

Salt
2010 IA Deerhunting Co-Champ, 2011 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 IA Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Walleye HOF X2
2010 IA Deerhunting Co-Champ, 2011 IA Mushroom Contest Champion,  IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 IA  Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Deerhunting Champion,  2014 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Walleye HOF X2

Bluegill Limits.

Postby Salt » Jul Sat 01, 2017 11:15 pm

I want to first say thank you to NotoriousJMC for starting this thread. I would like to throw into this conversation a slot limit. Let's say we could only keep twenty-five 7-9 inch gills. Would that change anything?

Image Image Image Image
Notoriousjmc
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Notoriousjmc » Jul Sat 01, 2017 11:18 pm

Salt wrote:I want to first say thank you to NotoriousJMC for starting this thread. I would like to throw into this conversation a slot limit. Let's say we could only keep twenty-five 7-9 inch gills. Would that change anything?

I think it would, it would keep the good bull gills genetics in the lakes. All while keeping the numbers up. I've just seen too many people ripping 100'a of fish off of their beds for the entire spawn. Going and having a few awesome days of fishing are great but there's gotta be a limit

Rico

Postby Rico » Jul Sun 02, 2017 7:58 am

Here is something else to think about. Not everyone is as fortunate enough as us, for example I can go fishing anytime I want. What about the guy that only gets out 2-3 times a year because of his work/family schedule? Not that I condone what he/she is doing but I would understand their plight. That being said as I mentioned above I have been an advocate of a bag limit. I would also be for a slot limit.
G&G Ice Pro Staff

Return to “Fishing Chat”