Bluegill Limits.

General Fishing Talk

Moderator: bubbagill

fishlips
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion

Re: Bluegill Limits.

Postby fishlips » Jul Sun 02, 2017 10:45 am

I am in favor of a limit for gills,I think even closing it during spawn would be great.I was impressed last winter on an ice trip to Ludington Mich. How much bigger the gills were than around here,they have 25 limit,it does work.There are also alot of people who don't know how to catch fish except the easy pickens on their beds,so they hit the population heavy at that time.I have also seen a decline in size of gills on a couple smaller lakes over the last few years,as they seem to be getting more pressure than years past.I also think more education to the public on releasing the BIG males would go a long way,as growing up it was allways said to throw back the BIG females,now everything I read says the BIG males are what we need to release,as they hold the genes for better reproduction
Rico
2011 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up, 2012 IA Icefishing Champion, 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2013 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2016 Mushroom Contest Champion
2011 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up, 2012 IA Icefishing Champion, 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2013 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2016 Mushroom Contest Champion

Postby Rico » Jul Sun 02, 2017 1:14 pm

As a guy that pretty much fishes private lakes in the soft water season, it is a "Catch 22". I remember back to 20 years ago. Damn, I bet I brought home close to 200 gills. Got home around midnight and started cleaning. By 8 AM I had got them all done. Point being I aint like that anymore. I am a "table fare" fisherman. I got time and I have the resources. I can fish anytime I want. Any more I just get about 10 gills and call it a day. But if my freezer is stocked I dont go at all. All that being said, that is just me. And to each their own. If it aint illegal, then do what you want to. Hell, I dabble in illegal activities every once in a while!!!!! LOL But one thing I sure love is a good discussion. Keeps my mind sharp because I am getting old!!!!!!!!!
G&G Ice Pro Staff
Notoriousjmc
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Notoriousjmc » Jul Sun 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Rico wrote:As a guy that pretty much fishes private lakes in the soft water season, it is a "Catch 22". I remember back to 20 years ago. Damn, I bet I brought home close to 200 gills. Got home around midnight and started cleaning. By 8 AM I had got them all done. Point being I aint like that anymore. I am a "table fare" fisherman. I got time and I have the resources. I can fish anytime I want. Any more I just get about 10 gills and call it a day. But if my freezer is stocked I dont go at all. All that being said, that is just me. And to each their own. If it aint illegal, then do what you want to. Hell, I dabble in illegal activities every once in a while!!!!! LOL But one thing I sure love is a good discussion. Keeps my mind sharp because I am getting old!!!!!!!!!

I should mention that the days of bringing home over 50 gills were due to me being the only buddy who is willing to put in the work filleting them. Sometimes when you're throwing them in the live we'll you don't. Price until the end of the day that DAMN I HAVE TO CLEAN ALL OF THESE!? I agree wit fishlips point of a lot of people not knowing how to find them other than the spawn and unfortunately I think he is right. That is what is killing the sizes in our lakes in my opinion. Picking bulls off of nests and removing those genes from the water because "those will be good fillets". It's always nice to have a freezer full of fish for fish frys etc. doesn't mean it all had to be gills though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SkeeterJeff
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby SkeeterJeff » Jul Sun 02, 2017 2:54 pm

I should point out that we are not just fishing the bedded fish here. We typically start before the fish are on the beds and are catching them staged outside our pea gravel covered swimming area where they bed in about 7-10 FOW, mud bottom, in the weeds. This lake is full of 8+' red ear and bluegill. When fishing outside of the beds, we will either be catching 6-7" fish, or 8+" fish. It's like any other time. When the big ones move in, the small ones move out.

I am blessed with an excellent pan fish fishery here where 8+" gills and ears are the norm. As I have stated before, those of us that fish our private lake communicate our experiences and manage the fishery accordingly. As long as the fishery continues to produce like it has for the last six years, I have no qualms about and feel no remorse for taking some big ones out of here. I respect everyone's opinion no matter if it agrees with mine or not, but I have the right to my opinion also and just because we disagree doesn't make either of us right or wrong. There are no "rubber stamp rules" that work for every body of water in the state. What may be detrimental on some other lakes may have no effect, or a positive effect on my lake.

-Jeff
We have to stop saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are seeing it as a challenge!

Lake Edgewood Web Cam & Weather Station
Notoriousjmc
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Notoriousjmc » Jul Sun 02, 2017 3:00 pm

SkeeterJeff wrote:I should point out that we are not just fishing the bedded fish here. We typically start before the fish are on the beds and are catching them staged outside our pea gravel covered swimming area where they bed in about 7-10 FOW, mud bottom, in the weeds. This lake is full of 8+' red ear and bluegill. When fishing outside of the beds, we will either be catching 6-7" fish, or 8+" fish. It's like any other time. When the big ones move in, the small ones move out.

I am blessed with an excellent pan fish fishery here where 8+" gills and ears are the norm. As I have stated before, those of us that fish our private lake communicate our experiences and manage the fishery accordingly. As long as the fishery continues to produce like it has for the last six years, I have no qualms about and feel no remorse for taking some big ones out of here. I respect everyone's opinion no matter if it agrees with mine or not, but I have the right to my opinion also and just because we disagree doesn't make either of us right or wrong. There are no "rubber stamp rules" that work for every body of water in the state. What may be detrimental on some other lakes may have no effect, or a positive effect on my lake.

-Jeff

Absolutely right and this was not a shot at you Jeff. It's a topic my buddies and I have been talking about the last few years due to our local lakes diminishing population of decent keeper gills. It just seems to me as a daily bag/slot limit may be a good thing to consider for our state. I don't think the private lakes have the same problems as some of the local waters that absolutely get hammered with pressure. I am lucky enough to have access to one private lake near me and year after year it produces HUGE slab crappie and gills but the local public lakes are being depleted. Once again this post wasn't a shot at you but the banter on your post DID spark the thought.

bubbagill
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS NC Manager, 2013 IAIFS Runner-up, 2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY RUNNER UP
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS NC Manager, 2013 IAIFS Runner-up, 2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY RUNNER UP

Postby bubbagill » Jul Sun 02, 2017 4:19 pm

I've enjoyed this post, it's a great thing to discuss and contemplate. I am all for a 25 fish limit, with a slot, a season, and an extra couple bucks for the license and stiffer penalty for those in violation of the laws. I know everyone just spilt there drink when they read an extra couple bucks lol. But in today's world it seems that money talks now more than ever, think about the positive side effects of more resource dollars.
Marking reds, catching greens.
Go Cubs Go
All lives matter.
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Postby Prybis » Jul Sun 02, 2017 5:23 pm

Notoriousjmc wrote:Good point. I think closing the season until after the spawn would eliminate the elimination of most of the trophy gills but would sure be lousy for us as anglers. Kind of a catch 22.

Bluegill spawn year round. Which spawning season are you planning to close? Also The Bull Gills will usually spawn earlier and in deeper water than the rest of the brood. While I think a limit will help, I am not sure a slot limit will.
Mike P.
Notoriousjmc
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Notoriousjmc » Jul Sun 02, 2017 6:04 pm

Prybis wrote:
Notoriousjmc wrote:Good point. I think closing the season until after the spawn would eliminate the elimination of most of the trophy gills but would sure be lousy for us as anglers. Kind of a catch 22.

Bluegill spawn year round. Which spawning season are you planning to close? Also The Bull Gills will usually spawn earlier and in deeper water than the rest of the brood. While I think a limit will help, I am not sure a slot limit will.

Another good point. Maybe the daily bag limit is the only logical option.

SkeeterJeff
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby SkeeterJeff » Jul Sun 02, 2017 10:13 pm

Notoriousjmc wrote:Absolutely right and this was not a shot at you Jeff.

I didn't take it as a shot to me, no problem. It just made me think about the big picture when we are fishing in preparation for our annual Memorial Day Fish Fry for our neighbors here. I realized my posts about our fishing adventures here gave the impression that every year we just waited for the spawn in our swimming area and harvested every fish off of the beds. I wanted to point out that other than the first year we were here, that is not the case. We start harvesting fish pre-spawn and in deeper water. It was interesting that the first year we were here and harvested the 104 fish off of the nests, it was Father's Day. That is actually later than we have seen beds since then. I don't know if the lake being down 14' for an entire year after that changed things, or something else caused the late spawn that year, but ever since then they are usually starting to come into the bedding area around mid May. Last year we did see a second spawn which we have not seen this year. I suspect this year's lack of a second spawn is because we have family staying with us this summer and they are swimming in the usual bedding areas almost daily.

At any rate, we are blessed with a very good supply of larger than average bluegill and red ear that keeps coming back year after year.

-Jeff
We have to stop saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are seeing it as a challenge!

Lake Edgewood Web Cam & Weather Station
Rico

Postby Rico » Jul Mon 03, 2017 6:34 pm

This has been a great thread. To be honest I am surprised more haven't chimed in.
G&G Ice Pro Staff

Return to “Fishing Chat”