Fish growth rate?

General Fishing Talk

Moderator: bubbagill

bubbagill
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS NC Manager, 2013 IAIFS Runner-up, 2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY RUNNER UP
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS NC Manager, 2013 IAIFS Runner-up, 2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY RUNNER UP

Fish growth rate?

Postby bubbagill » Aug Thu 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Guys I was wondering if anyone knew an estimated rate of growth for walleye? I realize there's a million factors that go into the equation. What I'm after in a nutshell is how long does it take in years a stocked walleye fingerling to grow to say 15"? I've never really found much biological data. Any ideas? Thanks in advance fellas.
Marking reds, catching greens.
Go Cubs Go
All lives matter.
rhouser
IA Perch HOF
IA Perch HOF

Re: Fish growth rate?

Postby rhouser » Aug Fri 18, 2017 7:47 am

quick google search, from Wisc DNR

Female walleyes grow faster and become larger than males. The males reach maturity in two or three years, when they are 12 to 13.5 inches long; females mature in four to five years, at lengths of 15 to 17 inches (Fig. 2). On average, walleyes live to be about seven years old, but older specimens have been caught.

and here is some good info
http://www.aikenslake.com/news/a-look-i ... of-walleye
pbjayco
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby pbjayco » Aug Fri 18, 2017 7:54 am

Hi Bub - I found a walleye and pike growth chart from Canada that shows size, age, % male and female, and weight but I'm too technologically challenged to figure out how to attach the PDF file to this...it shows that a 15" walleye is most likely 6 years old and weighs around 1.3#. The growth rate in Indiana waters is probably different but this can give you an idea.
If you Google walleye and pike growth chart you should be able to find the chart.

Pat
pbjayco
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby pbjayco » Aug Fri 18, 2017 7:57 am

bubbagill

Postby bubbagill » Aug Fri 18, 2017 10:39 am

Hey how ya been Pat? I hope all is well. Thanks guys :coolth
Marking reds, catching greens.
Go Cubs Go
All lives matter.
pbjayco
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby pbjayco » Aug Fri 18, 2017 11:01 am

Doing well - did a Canada fly-in the last week of July - had a great week - caught lots of fish and had perfect weather.
Wanted to make it to the Bash this year to see everybody but a lot of family stuff that weekend. Hope y'all have a great time -
Hopefully this winter will be a better ice winter and I can make it up to drill some holes with you guys.
Be well!

Return to “Fishing Chat”