Fishing poles on air plane

General Fishing Talk

Moderator: bubbagill

lakehopper
Ensign
Ensign

Fishing poles on air plane

Postby lakehopper » Nov Fri 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Headed to Clearwater Fl....whats the best way to take fishing rods on a plane. Will they let u use PCV pipe ???
kingfisher
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Fishing poles on air plain

Postby kingfisher » Nov Sat 25, 2017 1:23 pm

You may want to check with the airline, one no-no is to try to bring large lures and big hooks in your carry-on--
Check out my youtube channel and please subscribe -- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqTnS0 ... KjvmORoC8A
Nobote
Captain
Captain

Re: Fishing poles on air plain

Postby Nobote » Nov Sat 25, 2017 11:47 pm

Telescoping travel rod, or Backpack rod. Cases have to be approved and locked, I think you can travel with something 91" long, but it has to be checked as sporting equipment and cant go in the cabin w you as carryon luggage.
I would check w your airline and check the TSA website for more rules, but dont let the rules discourage you.
You never see a fishing boat parked in front of a psychiatrists office .....
teardrop
Commander
Commander

Re: Fishing poles on air plane

Postby teardrop » Nov Mon 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Get insurance, Just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was charmed to learn that the pygmies of the Ituri forest cure eye infections by urinating in the bad eye(Trout Madness,1960).
handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Fishing poles on air plane

Postby handyandy » Nov Tue 28, 2017 9:46 am

I hate flying only because of all the regulations, security time, and how hard it is to take anything with you anymore. That and every time I fly it seems it ends up taking me almost as long as it would to drive when you figure in what time you leave your house door till you walk in to where ever your ever staying. I wish I had more advice, but everyone has hit the mark don't bring anything with hooks in carry on, and I'd check about the fishing poles and what the max length is for checked luggage. Anymore now you'll probably get charged extra for checking something long like poles. I've driven down to sarasota area before with my boat, so my choice would be to drive took me 15hrs from my area. Flying was quicker but not by enough to make me deal with it by the time I figured out the time from leaving my house door to getting to the rental home down there. Flying wasn't much faster cause the nearest air port for me is an hour away to louisville or INDY lay over in Atlanta or Charlotte then to tampa then 40 min drive from tampa air port to sarasota total travel time for flying was something like almost 10 hrs from my house door to the vacation home. I said the hell with not being able to bring the boat or fishing gear, and decided to just load the truck and boat and drive for that trip.
why does everything have to get in the way of fishing and hunting?

Return to “Fishing Chat”