Good place for a trip

General Fishing Talk

Moderator: bubbagill

ff8207
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good place for a trip

Postby ff8207 » Nov Sun 26, 2017 8:12 pm

Alright every body, I need some help. I am trying to put together a fishing trip for my dad and brothers. We all really enjoy fishing and this is one of those things I need to do with dad as he is getting older and was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis earlier this year. I was trying to do a hunting trip, but that didn't work out. So anyway, I could use some help. Not necessarily looking for something huge and super fancy, that is not really our style. Just looking for great panfishing and maybe something bigger. I want to get this started now so that I can have it set in stone before spring get here and life gets too busy for planning. Maybe something in northern indiana or in Michigan or Ohio or something. Just looking for some suggestions. Thanks guys
bubbagill
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS NC Manager, 2013 IAIFS Runner-up, 2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY RUNNER UP
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS NC Manager, 2013 IAIFS Runner-up, 2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY RUNNER UP

Re: Good place for a trip

Postby bubbagill » Nov Sun 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Maybe an Erie walleye trip? If so Eye Spy charters is your guy. I've been on captain Ryans boat 5 times and never once was I dissatisfied.
Marking reds, catching greens.
Go Cubs Go
All lives matter.
SkeeterJeff
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby SkeeterJeff » Nov Sun 26, 2017 9:37 pm

Yep, Erie walleye trip would be my choice. And depending on the time if year, you could also target Perch and/or Smallmouth.
We have to stop saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are seeing it as a challenge!

Lake Edgewood Web Cam & Weather Station
chewbacca
2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY CHAMPION
2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY CHAMPION

Postby chewbacca » Nov Mon 27, 2017 10:06 am

When you say trip, do you mean a day trip, weekend trip, or an all week trip? The length of stay would greatly affect where I would be looking to go.
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
fishlips
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion

Postby fishlips » Nov Mon 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Like chewy said time,a week at Erie charter would be steep,couple days not bad. Week trip , Reelfoot lake,Kyntukey Lake, both good for gills and crappie.
do you want to charter/guided trip,or doing it yourself?
Last edited by fishlips on Nov Mon 27, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby handyandy » Nov Mon 27, 2017 4:44 pm

More info could help like others have said. How far are you willing to go, budget, length of trip, whats your dads favorite style of fishing, and do you want to stay in state? Walleye trip would be awesome erie walleye fishing is great, plus it's great to eat, and it's not too far away of a trip to make. This past August a buddy and I went down to kentucky lake dam with my boat and fished during the eclipse for whatever would bite. The sunday before the eclipse we fished with Jim Doom Local guide down there for the kentucky river below the lake he was great we had a good time caught tons of cats, with some gar mixed in, and one wiper. We were after wipers, but they weren't around or weren't cooperating, he was doing everything he could the cats were more than willing to bite that day. So we caught a ton of good eating size smaller blue cats, one decent flattie, couple bigger blues, and some nice channels. We used my boat the day of the eclipse to fish in the same manner with good success. If your after panfish you can't beat gills or crappie through the ice or perch for table fare. I would do a ice fishing trip up michigan, wisconsin, or minnesota for perch, and other pan fish.
why does everything have to get in the way of fishing and hunting?
ff8207
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby ff8207 » Dec Sun 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Probably looking at something like a 3-4 day trip. We have always fished for panfish and whatever else would bite our line. I don't necessarily need to have a guide but it would be something to consider. I am not sure on budget just yet. Trying to get some ideas so that I can get a budget together. I have heard good things about Kentucky Lake for gills and crappie and bass. I might be looking at Michigan or Wisconsin too. I might be interested in an Erie trip, but that would obviously have to be guided.
handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby handyandy » Dec Tue 05, 2017 9:57 am

I haven't fished kentucky lake, but have gone to that area. I'm river guy so I fished below the dam of kentucky lake and barkley lake when I've been there. You never know what you'll get below the damn's big asian carp give you run for money, cats big & small, hybrids (white bass/striper mix), gar, drum, sometimes a bass just depends. You really need a boat for below damn's to do well, but something is almost always willing to bite fresh netted shad which aren't hard to find below the damns. I know kentucky lake is good fishing, but I couldn't comment personally on it. If I travel for fish it's usually not for species that I can easily catch in small lakes and ponds closer to home. Granted I can catch plenty of cats, and drum on white river near me but below the damn's there if the wipers are in good they're a lot of fun. I'm a big smallmouth guy so dale hollow is a lake I've been meaning to make trip to as well. Great smallie fishing on dale hollow along with gills and crappie might consider there, lots of cabins to rent, lots of guides to choose from if you went that route nice scenery around dale hollow.
why does everything have to get in the way of fishing and hunting?

Return to “Fishing Chat”