Car Topping a Yak

For the Kayak and Canoe Fishing enthusiasts. Post your pictures, tips, and secrets for tricking out your Kayak or Canoe.

Moderator: Kayakhank

bloomy
Ensign
Ensign

Car Topping a Yak

Postby bloomy » Nov Wed 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Thinking about buying a yak this summer, only thing stopping me is transportation. My only vehicle is a small sedan (04 Alero) and I'm not sure it has what it takes to safely transport a yak around. Anyone car top their yaks? Think I could safely and reasonably put a 10 or 12 foot yak on the top of my car?
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Re: Car Topping a Yak

Postby Prybis » Nov Wed 29, 2017 6:25 pm

I car top my slayer propel 12' yak on top of my 5 door 2012 Mazda 3. It can be heavy to put on top but is doable if I take time and do it correctly. I take the seat and drive out of it before lifting. I lay mine across the bars hull side up. Two tie downs hand tight along with fore and aft keepers.
Mike P.
Lost River Farms
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Lost River Farms » Nov Wed 29, 2017 8:57 pm

handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby handyandy » Nov Thu 30, 2017 2:17 pm

I hated getting mine on roof enough I just made an old jet ski trailer into a yak trailer holds both of my nucanoes easy to wheel around by hand lot easier to just hook up to it than screw with getting it on the roof and strapped down.
why does everything have to get in the way of fishing and hunting?
handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby handyandy » Nov Thu 30, 2017 2:26 pm

With that said your car should be fine to have a yak on top hard part is getting it up there and getting it to stay up there while under way. I've seen people use pool noodles between the roof and yak with success. They have foam blocks that are meant for putting between the roof and yak to strap it down if you don't have roof bars. Also don't plan on keeping your car scratch free if your going to roof top it a lot I've found no matter what I do while roof topping some point I screw up and end up banging the yak off the car somewhere. This guy has a good cheap loading method using some pvc pipes, noodles can make improvised roof bars if you use some rope like 550 cord to hold them to the roof.

pvc loading bars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU-Ndemxu3s

pool noodle roof rack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyKcaUDd-qY
why does everything have to get in the way of fishing and hunting?

Return to “Kayak and Canoe”