4/18 Crappie and Stripers

fisherdee
Captain
Captain

4/18 Crappie and Stripers

Postby fisherdee » Apr Wed 19, 2017 6:27 am

What a beautiful day on the water. Brian and I had planned a day of fishing. Hurt his shoulder a few times when he over reached, Ouch! Says he was pretty sore when he got home that evening. We had a guest fisherman with us that we at the met at the campground we have our campers at. And of course, he caught the biggest fish! It was a 13 1/2" White Bass. When they get that size they are a chunk and on the long crappie poles they put up a good fight.

First part of morning was cool, calm. I was trolling for Stripers. We were not having any luck, just as were about to pull rods a rod took off. It was a down rod, Bluegill for bait and singing my song. I pick up the rod and felt the fish and a few seconds later he was gone. Whole rig came back minus a Bluegill, I think it was a catfish.
We made one more pass, and no takers, lots of marks, so I pulled the rods and we set up for crappies.

The week before I had spotted a lot of crappie staging. Water temp was 60 to start and 62 by the time we quit. The southeast wind had picked up and the area was protected. We started picking up crappie right away. No monsters but average size for this lake. A few white bass in the mix. Another boat in the area was having the same luck it seemed. We quit with a limit of nice crappies for the fryer.

The story goes you cant ask a new guy on Board to clean fish, and Brian forgot his fillet knife again. (shame him) But on his behalf I think his shoulder was hurting just a little more than he was letting on. We all had a good time, Bob was a good fishing partner and since he is also retired and at the campground I am sure we will have some more trips in our future. Zakk was a great dog in the boat. Both Brian and Bob raved about how he was. Napped most of the time except when the big motor was running and then right up front.

No snaps but here is one from last week early morning, I love this time of day!
"Retired - Now I only fish the good days, not just the off days!"
http://www.fisherdee.wordpress.com
hilly77p
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF

Re: 4/18 Crappie and Stripers

Postby hilly77p » Apr Wed 19, 2017 9:30 am

Great pic. Awesome report.
fishlips
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner

Re: 4/18 Crappie and Stripers

Postby fishlips » Apr Thu 20, 2017 6:56 am

Yep,I love being on the water or ice,watchin the sun come up,neat pic.

Return to “Central Indiana Ice Fishing Reports and Information”