Linton/Dugger area

scuba268
Ensign
Ensign

Linton/Dugger area

Postby scuba268 » Jan Tue 21, 2014 7:13 pm

My brother and I are planning on heading down to Linton Friday to do some ice fishing. We are hoping there is plenty of ice so we can hit several ponds. If so we plan on getting a room to stay till Sunday. So I was just curious if anyone has been out and can give me an idea or update on the amount of ice on the lakes ? ANY info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
brockbrown
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Linton/Dugger area

Postby brockbrown » Jan Tue 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Ive been around southern east and west vigo county. With this cold weather the ice should be great. Already is 4-6 inches of solid white ice. Only open water ive seen is from ducks/geese. Theres an inch or two of snow on ponds in most places which might slow down the ice forming a little bit but id have to guess we will have a solid six inches if not 8 inches here real soon. Linton is only a half hour south from some places ive been lately. Should be good- ive been thinking about headin down to hillenbrand.
jimmycrown
IAIFS Staff
IAIFS Staff

Postby jimmycrown » Jan Tue 21, 2014 8:40 pm

wondered if they would get ice . while down there I would hit shackamak
scuba268
Ensign
Ensign

Postby scuba268 » Jan Wed 22, 2014 7:37 pm

If you do get down to Linton look for me. I drive a big gray Dodge Ram with a matching camper shell. The back window has picture of a bass and license plate is 21BJ. So it is easy to know if its me. We usually try to hit tree lake then some of the smaller ponds to track down the fish easier. If you see us stop by an holler. If the ice is plenty we are going to get a room at the Parks Inn in Linton.
chewbacca
2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY CHAMPION

Postby chewbacca » Jan Thu 23, 2014 4:44 pm

scuba268 wrote:If you do get down to Linton look for me. I drive a big gray Dodge Ram with a matching camper shell. The back window has picture of a bass and license plate is 21BJ. So it is easy to know if its me. We usually try to hit tree lake then some of the smaller ponds to track down the fish easier. If you see us stop by an holler. If the ice is plenty we are going to get a room at the Parks Inn in Linton.

Do you do alright on Tree lake? I've fished it 3 times and caught tons of fish every time. However, they were all dinks. I've not seen a fish with any size come out of there. Cool lake though with all the timber in it! I've often wondered if there were any sizable gills lurking in there :dunno
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
brockbrown
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby brockbrown » Jan Thu 23, 2014 8:36 pm

I dont know my way around down there, any good maps? I google map search areas all the time but i dont know whats what exactly
scuba268
Ensign
Ensign

Postby scuba268 » Jan Thu 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Well my brother canceled for this weekend but with the weather we are going to try for next weekend. Yes there are lots of real nice gills and crappies in tree lake. There are also some real nice bass. The deep water is straight across from the ramp area. Go all the way to the far side of the lake which I believe is the east side. It drops off right off the bank to real deep water. That whole side is deep. Heading south along that bank about 3/4 of the way down there is a point that comes out right off the shore so don't look for it visible from shore. I have caught lots of big gills there. The best for crappies is as you come out from the ramp about half way across hit the trees to you right.
As for maps, I think that the bait shops have some maps of the lake areas. You can also go to google earth and print your own maps. I have the ones the bait shops usually carry plus I did the google earth and made a color map. It took about 10 pages to do it but I taped them together to make a large map.
brockbrown
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby brockbrown » Jan Thu 23, 2014 11:31 pm

Yea i need some guys to meet up with down there, too many ponds that im too unfamiliar with and no good maps, google will only name a few ponds for me.
Goosepond Monster
IA Bluegill HOF 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up
IA Bluegill HOF 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up

Postby Goosepond Monster » Jan Fri 24, 2014 12:56 pm

brockbrown wrote:Yea i need some guys to meet up with down there, too many ponds that im too unfamiliar with and no good maps, google will only name a few ponds for me.

Does this help?

Goosepond Monster wrote:Hillenbrand...

Minnehaha...

Greene-Sullivan Dugger Unit...

GSSF...

Shakamak State Park...

I couldn't find a good map of Sullivan Lake, but this gives one an idea...

chewbacca

Postby chewbacca » Jan Fri 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Brock - It looks like Goose just covered them all for you. Nice job putting those up there Eli.
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!

Return to “Southern Indiana Ice Fishing Reports and Information”