1/14 Greene County pond

hilly77p
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF

1/14 Greene County pond

Postby hilly77p » Jan Wed 14, 2015 9:14 pm

Got out after work about 4:30-dark. Iced 8 nice gills. Still tryin to figure out my fish finder. Seems I was catching were it wasn't marking fish and not catching where it was marking. The user manual that came with it is junk. Anyway, I think this be last time out around here. Got a warm up starting tomorrow and going through the weekend.

I was hoping to travel north this weekend, but the holidays put a bigger dent in my wallet than I realized. I'm going to try to make it to the first ice tourney. Would like to put faces with names and get on the ice some more!

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
princecraft
IA Military Veteran, IA Bluegill HOF(x8), IA Crappie HOF (X2), TEAM MEMBER, 2014 Bash Bluegill Champion, IA Walleye HOF
IA Military Veteran, IA Bluegill HOF(x8), IA Crappie HOF (X2), TEAM MEMBER, 2014 Bash Bluegill Champion, IA Walleye HOF

Re: 1/14 Greene County pond

Postby princecraft » Jan Wed 14, 2015 9:23 pm

Good start.
Fisherman's Prayer
I pray that I may live to fish
Until my dying day
And when it comes to my last cast,
I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
And peacefully asleep,
That in His mercy I be Judged
BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.
Frenchman83
IA Military Veteran, 2012 "Bash" Tourney Champ, 2013 IA Bass Tourney runner up, 2013 IA Online Open Water Tournament Runner-up, IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 Indiana Fish of the Year Certificate Holder, IAIFS Staff

Postby Frenchman83 » Jan Wed 14, 2015 9:50 pm

Awesome job. Next year will require better planning.
Paul
The Tug is the Drug
Reel Reel Pause, Reel Reel Twitch, Reel Reel SMACK
Felix
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash, 2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash,  2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ

Postby Felix » Jan Thu 15, 2015 7:57 am

Try YouTube and find some vids on the fish finder. Would be cool
If you could get up for the tournaments!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted!!

Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason!

I didn't vote for him............
luvndabeers
Two Star Rear Admiral
Two Star Rear Admiral

Postby luvndabeers » Jan Thu 15, 2015 8:01 am

Nice gills!! I had the same issues when I first started using my flasher. you'll get the hang of it
Swim Instructor for Hire
A bad day fishin' is better than a good day of anything else.
chewbacca
2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY CHAMPION

Postby chewbacca » Jan Thu 15, 2015 9:33 am

What fish finder did you get?
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
hilly77p

Postby hilly77p » Jan Thu 15, 2015 9:48 am

Chewy, it's the Lowrance elite 3X. Fairly new model, only been out for a few months I think. so there isn't much about it online. It's the all season pack, so I have the iceducer for it. This is my first fish finder ever, so I'm pretty ignorant about most of it.
Felix
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash, 2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash,  2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ

Postby Felix » Jan Thu 15, 2015 12:52 pm

The time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted!!

Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason!

I didn't vote for him............
hilly77p

Postby hilly77p » Jan Thu 15, 2015 12:55 pm

Felix wrote:Gotta be close to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUdB4C7EDOE

I'll take a look at it. Thanks Felix :tup
chewbacca

Postby chewbacca » Jan Thu 15, 2015 1:49 pm

Hilly,
I have the Humminbird version of your unit. Here's is my experience with marking/not marking fish...First, if you were fishing in shallower water (less than say 10') your sonar cone is rather small, even at the bottom. There is a good chance fish were hanging outside the cone and when they decided to bite they were coming in quickly from outside the cone to hit your bait. Secondly, I know with my unit I struggle to be able to tell if fish are hanging tight to the bottom. Usually when I drop the ducer in the hole I will look at the graph for a little bit to see if I can distinguish any fish on the bottom. Sometimes I can tell right away that there are fish there and sometimes it appears like there is nothing until I start dropping my bait down the hole. Many times I'll think nothing is there and as my bait is dropping the bottom will become real active and then fish will start coming up to investigate my bait. Once they start to release from the bottom I quit dropping my bait and see if they will come up all the way up to it. If they don't I will slowly work it down a little at time until they will finally come all the way to it. If they come to it but won't bite I will slowly pull it away from them which causes them to sometimes strike. It seems the higher the fish will release off the bottom the more likely it is that they are gonna strike. Sometimes you will see them streak from the bottom towards your bait and by the time you look back to watch your spring bobber they will have already bit! It can happen that fast. Also, the deeper the water is the harder it is for the graph to mark fish tight to the bottom. My unit has a dual cone. In shallower water I use the wide cone but when you get to deep water the wide cone becomes a nuisance because it could be marking fish that are 25' or more away from the whole (depending on the depth you're fishing). So I will switch to the narrow cone so that I am only marking fish that are fairly close. Sometimes in deep water I will switch back and forth between the 2 cones and that will help me determine whether I should move to an outer hole or stay where I am at. Just keep practicing and you'll get it.
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!

Return to “Southern Indiana Ice Fishing Reports and Information”