FishFinder

Have a question about Fishing Electronics? Have a tip for how to get more out of your Fishing Electronics? This is the place!

Moderator: jimmycrown

Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

FishFinder

Postby Prybis » Feb Tue 24, 2015 6:02 pm

With the purchase of a new Kayak, I am looking at getting a fishfinder for it. I see alot of people mention the Lowrance models the most. With the Elite 4 being a popular option. The Lowrance models are on sale to make room for their new Chirp models. I have never used a fishfinder before so it is all new to me. I was looking at either the Elite-4 HDI with lake insight for $199 or the Elite-5 HDI with base maps for $299. I am not sure which one is going to work the best. I will mainly be fishing lakes and ponds with an occasional stream. Looking for some insight on which to get and which one would you get if you where buying. Thanks again for the help. Here are the links to the one I was looking at. They are on sale at Gander Mountain.

Elite-4 HDI
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... 638&r=view

Elite-5 HDI
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... s&i=756387
Mike P.
hilly77p
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF

Re: FishFinder

Postby hilly77p » Feb Wed 25, 2015 4:23 pm

I recently got the Elite 3X and so far I like it. It was my first fish finder as well and I plan to use it on my yak. I doubt you could go wrong with either model, but I have no personal experience with either.
chewbacca
2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY CHAMPION
2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY CHAMPION

Postby chewbacca » Feb Fri 27, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks to Prybis I just bought me a Humminbird 798ci Side Imaging from Gander :roll: . I was looking at the links he provided and both those seemed like decent deals so I thought "I wonder what other deals they have?" I've always wanted a side imaging unit but the price tag has always kept them out of my range. With the $499 price tag on this unit I couldn't refuse :nana . The best price I could find doing a web search for the same unit was about $750! There were even used ones being sold on eBay for about $550! I feel like I did pretty well. :dunno
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Postby Prybis » Feb Fri 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Co grats on your new purchase. I am still trying to decide what model to get. I am leaning towards the Elite 5 HDI.
Mike P.
fire831
IA TEAM MEMBER

Postby fire831 » Feb Fri 27, 2015 1:45 pm

Don't know much about the finders Mike but I'd say the bigger screen would be better.
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Postby Prybis » Feb Sat 28, 2015 2:08 pm

Now I am even more confused as too what unit to get. I went by Gander Mountain to talk with them in about the models. I was almost set to buy the Elite-5 HDI until I asked about the Humminbird. The fishing Manager showed the Helix 5 DI GPS for $349.99 and the Helix 5 SI GPS for $499.99 models. The image on these 2 Humminbird models was allot clearer than on the Lowrance Models. He also told me Humminbird customer service and techs are easier to deal with, in case any problems arise. These are not on sale but close in price to the Elite 5 HDI on sale. Now I need help deciding which one to get. Never using a fish finder before I am not sure If I will even use the SI when fishing lakes. Any input is will be greatly appreciated.
Mike P.
Heatman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Heatman » Feb Sat 28, 2015 2:46 pm

chewbacca wrote:Thanks to Prybis I just bought me a Humminbird 798ci Side Imaging from Gander :roll: . I was looking at the links he provided and both those seemed like decent deals so I thought "I wonder what other deals they have?" I've always wanted a side imaging unit but the price tag has always kept them out of my range. With the $499 price tag on this unit I couldn't refuse :nana . The best price I could find doing a web search for the same unit was about $750! There were even used ones being sold on eBay for about $550! I feel like I did pretty well. :dunno

I bought one of those for the front of my boat last summer. They were down to $600 with a $50 rebate at that time. LOVE mine! May just get another for my helm. It's night and day difference between it and the Lowrnance Mark-5x the boat came with.
Greg2ha
Commander
Commander

Postby Greg2ha » May Thu 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Dang I paid $299 for the Elite 4HDI less than a year ago. Guess I should have waited

Return to “Fishing with Electronics”