Huminbird Seminar

Have a question about Fishing Electronics? Have a tip for how to get more out of your Fishing Electronics? This is the place!

Moderator: jimmycrown

fisherdee
Captain
Captain

Huminbird Seminar

Postby fisherdee » Jan Sun 17, 2016 9:12 am

Just got back from a seminar about sonar.. One day thing and it covered a lot of info. Learned a tremendous about about my sonar units and how to get the most out of them. Definitely going to change my set up.
Items covered were installation, I can tell you a lot of dealers are just sticking those things on and its not right.
How to make sense out of all the numbers and goober-talk, what does it mean.
How to set up, make adjustments and interpret what we see on the screens.
Covered the types of map chips available.

My seminar was put on by the Technological Angler. $125 Probably 35 people attended which was very manageable. 9-4 pm with breaks, lots questions and answers. Workbook provided that included all the screens we talked about and all the information covered.

You know, we spend a lot of money for Electronics. I would encourage everyone to attend a seminar of some type. Use that technology for than depth and temp!

Here is a couple questions answered? Whats the difference between traditional sonar and chirp? Do fish hear the pinging?
If your in a group of boats all with sonar, how does that look? How much area is covered by your sonar? How many times per second does your sonar ping? Are you fishing too deep for your sonar? Can you network all your units?
Last edited by fisherdee on Jan Mon 18, 2016 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Retired - Now I only fish the good days, not just the off days!"
http://www.fisherdee.wordpress.com
Daybreak
One Star Rear Admiral
One Star Rear Admiral

Re: Huminbird Seminar

Postby Daybreak » Jan Sun 17, 2016 9:47 am

That is something that would make us all better fisher people! Glad you enjoyed it!
LUND, The Ultimate Fishing Experience
Rico
2011 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up, 2012 IA Icefishing Champion, 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2013 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2016 Mushroom Contest Champion
2011 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up, 2012 IA Icefishing Champion, 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2013 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2016 Mushroom Contest Champion

Postby Rico » Jan Mon 18, 2016 10:00 am

Do fish hear the pinging?
G&G Ice Pro Staff
Daybreak
One Star Rear Admiral
One Star Rear Admiral

Postby Daybreak » Jan Mon 18, 2016 11:22 am

Don't know yet??? Just signed up for their free newsletter.
Rico

Postby Rico » Jan Mon 18, 2016 11:45 am

I was icefishing a few years back with a group of guys and the bite was slow. So we sat around in a circle and chit chatted about several topics. Then our flashers became the center of discussion. One guy wanted to know if the fish heard the ping and then another fella wanted to know if different units made different sounds. Pretty good questions.
G&G Ice Pro Staff
natahka72
Captain
Captain

Postby natahka72 » Jan Mon 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Rico wrote:Do fish hear the pinging?

I was curious too so I did some quick googling and all the scientifically based reports I found said that modern units are at a frequency that fish can not hear or feel. However, they also said fish can hear the ping of a beer can tab from up to a half mile away. ;) Keystone Light cans are even more detectable. :rotf
Rico

Postby Rico » Jan Mon 18, 2016 12:49 pm

Way too funny!!!!!!!!!
G&G Ice Pro Staff
fisherdee
Captain
Captain

Postby fisherdee » Jan Mon 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Fish do not hear the pings or chirps. your sonar ping, listen, ping, listen.. etc. in real time that is about 20000 times a second!
the theory is a bunch of boats fishing. the fish scatter. people think its the ping. Its not, its all the commotion in the boats, shadows, and his buddy that suddenly disappears, and the ping of the keystone light like natahka72 said..

For perspective a ping ( like a peep, peep, peep, of a chick ) or a chirp (like a long whistle)

verticle noise is from other sonar (verticle noise is straight lines, faint to heavy.)
Noise from trolling motor...Ferrite rings are the magic bullet to eliminate that. very simple and free.
If you have a weed screen on the back of your lund livewell intake you are probably interfering with your side image.
"Retired - Now I only fish the good days, not just the off days!"
http://www.fisherdee.wordpress.com
Daybreak
One Star Rear Admiral
One Star Rear Admiral

Postby Daybreak » Jan Mon 18, 2016 7:44 pm

fisherdee wrote:If you have a weed screen on the back of your lund livewell intake you are probably interfering with your side image.

I didn't think about that. My boat has one, but to be honest, I haven't tried the side imaging that much. I didn't fish as much as I had hoped last year, but have a semi retired schedule this year that should let me get on the water a lot more. I may have to try it with it on and then off to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the information.
chewbacca
2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY CHAMPION
2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY CHAMPION

Postby chewbacca » Jan Tue 19, 2016 9:50 am

I would have loved to attend this seminar. Where was it held?
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!

Return to “Fishing with Electronics”