Bruce Lake

Post your North Central Indiana Angling Reports, information, and Bait Shops here.

Moderator: princecraft

TimW
Ensign
Ensign

Bruce Lake

Postby TimW » Oct Tue 10, 2017 11:33 am

Fished Bruce Lake on Sunday with my son. We hunt the area around there and have fished the lake a number of times. This time we tried for the feature fish Musky. I set up a couple of trolling rods and my son stood in front of the boat casting different baits. My son managed 1 large mouth & I caught weeds. Well never had any action so we switched to crappies. As our normal we caught lots of them. Most were small and under 8". But by moving around we managed to put 42 in the box, 9" to 11". Very simple, 1/16 jig with a crappie scrub and a bee moth. Bounced off the bottom. Bites were very lite. Could not feel it. Just slow lifting of the rod tip and we'd see the rod bend ever so slowly and bingo they were there. We caught fish from 8' to 18' of water all near the bottom. Had to work they weren't easy but did return home with a nice mess for dinner.
Good luck to all Tim
rhouser
IA Perch HOF
IA Perch HOF

Re: Bruce Lake

Postby rhouser » Oct Tue 10, 2017 12:56 pm

nice work on staying at it, great write up
natahka72
Captain
Captain

Postby natahka72 » Oct Tue 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Had to search for what a crappie scrub was. They look really good!!! :tup
Daybreak
One Star Rear Admiral
One Star Rear Admiral

Postby Daybreak » Oct Tue 10, 2017 2:34 pm

Great Report! Maybe the musky will cooperate next time.
LUND, The Ultimate Fishing Experience
JoeB1
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby JoeB1 » Oct Tue 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Good job !
Yooper
IAIFS Director, 2013 Bash Champion, 2014 IA Online Ice Tourney Runner-up
IAIFS Director, 2013 Bash Champion, 2014 IA Online Ice Tourney Runner-up

Postby Yooper » Oct Wed 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Good info on the depths and the sluggish bite. Glad you got a good dinner out of it. Thanks for sharing.

Keep fishin and keep smilin
Keep fishing and keep smiling! Take care of one another folks!
If you're lucky enough to be a Yooper, you're lucky enough.
Steve
IA TEAM MEMBER

Postby Steve » Oct Sat 21, 2017 7:37 am

Glad you had a good time and caught a mess to keep.

Bruce Lake has really been screwed up since the muskie were introduced. The main problem is almost nobody keeps them. So we now have 4 times too many for the fishery. They have decimated the bass and panfish here. DNR is supposedly looking into trying to remove some of the musky to move into other lakes. I'll believe it when I see it. They can't even keep the speed limit enforced. A rant for another time. While it might help a bit here I can only feel for the people on the lakes they'll put them into. You would think that with the over population of musky it would be easy to catch them. Not so. They're as tough as ever to get to bite. As a community we're trying to remove as many as we can in hopes of getting them under control. So if they're legal, they're food. So if you come here and catch a musky do us a favor and keep it if it's legal.

Sorry for the thread high-jacking but thought everyone might like to know a bit more about our lake.
Knight Of The Precariously Skewed Table
Steve
IA TEAM MEMBER

Postby Steve » Oct Sat 21, 2017 9:30 am

Forgot to ask. What color crappie scrub were you using?
Knight Of The Precariously Skewed Table
TimW
Ensign
Ensign

Postby TimW » Oct Mon 23, 2017 9:59 am

It's funny to me you say that the musky are over stocked. I would think that would cause us to have more encounters with them (bite off's and such). But it hasn't, I've only been fishing there for about 3 years now and can count the bite off on 1 hand. In fact I've only seen 1 fish caught there & it was rather large 45.5 inches. But I understand what you are saying. I normally just hunt the area around there (20 years plus)so you must have much more time and understanding the lake than me. I'm located less than 10 min from the lake and it's easy to get there for my wife & I.

About the speed limit, sometimes I think people don't understand this. Some boats make 3 or 4 times the wake at 10 than they do at a higher speed. I'm in a 14' jon that's 75" wide across the back. My 15hp will only push it to 13mph with my wife & it has very little wake but if I slow too 9 or 10 I have 3 times the wake. I do enjoy the no jet ski's & skiers that are absent from the lake so I'm not complaining.

We use a few different colors. (green & white has been good also all green with metal flakes in it) Just like every thing else it can be different day to day. We took 40 more home on Saturday. Did have a couple to 14" but most were the 9 to 11" that we have kept. With so many small ones we can't count. A good think about the crappies is they don't just steal your bee moth. We've caught 5 or 6 on the same 1.

My buddy did catch someone's lawn chair last Saturday. LOL He didn't know what he had on. Thought it was 1 of those really large turtles.

Good luck to all I think I'm done fishing for a while with the cooler weather coming I'll be in a tree until the freezer is filled again. Good luck to all. Tim

Return to “North Central Indiana Fishing Reports and Information”