Had to title a jon boat

Questions, Answers, Tips & Tricks to maintain your equipment.

Moderator: fire831

dakota
IA Military Veteran, 2010 IA Online Openwater Tourney Runner-up

Had to title a jon boat

Postby dakota » May Mon 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Indiana now requires a title for a jon boat. Just bought a 1974 jon boat and had to get a title before I could register the boat. Before the law change it was a simple process. If the boat was under $3000 new you didn't need a title; just a bill of sale. Now you need to get a police check or take the boat to the BMV so they can check the numbers. Just a heads up for anyone looking to buy or sell.
Semper Fi

;IGY6

God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day
And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray
When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep
That in his mercy I be judged as good enough to keep
fishlips
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion

Re: Had to title a jon boat

Postby fishlips » May Wed 31, 2017 6:12 am

Ya,I found that also,any boat needs a title regardless of size , just another hand in the cookie jar,glad ya found a boat
Rico
2011 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up, 2012 IA Icefishing Champion, 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2013 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2016 Mushroom Contest Champion
2011 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up, 2012 IA Icefishing Champion, 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2013 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2016 Mushroom Contest Champion

Postby Rico » Jun Fri 02, 2017 9:07 am

When did it change?
G&G Ice Pro Staff
dakota

Postby dakota » Jun Fri 02, 2017 6:55 pm

She said sometime last year. Got it done and now if I ever sell it there will be title. I have got 2 boats and a float tube now so I'm think I'm ready for anything but the big lake.
Semper Fi

;IGY6

God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day
And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray
When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep
That in his mercy I be judged as good enough to keep
viper0463
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby viper0463 » Jun Wed 07, 2017 12:07 am

I had to get my little plastic boat titled this year also. It wasn't a big deal, just more money in the pocket of some politician.
Flyguy63
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Flyguy63 » Jun Wed 07, 2017 7:04 pm

ya''ll better check , i think you have to get coastgaurd certified for those boats to i heard .
viper0463
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby viper0463 » Jun Mon 12, 2017 12:43 am

Flyguy63 wrote:ya''ll better check , i think you have to get coastgaurd certified for those boats to i heard .

Coast guard certified for a 11 foot boat? I really don't think so.

WHAT IS VESSEL DOCUMENTATION?
Vessel documentation is a national form of registration. It is one of the oldest functions of Government, dating back to the 11th Act of the First Congress. Documentation provides conclusive evidence of nationality for international purposes, provides for unhindered commerce between the states, and admits vessels to certain restricted trades, such as coastwise trade and the fisheries. Since 1920, vessel financing has been enhanced through the availability of preferred mortgages on documented vessels.

For more information, visit www.uscg.mil/hq/msc/tonnage/docs/Brochu ... onnage.pdf.

Top of Page

WHAT VESSELS MAY BE DOCUMENTED?
A vessel must measure at least five net tons and, with the exception of certain oil spill response vessels, must be wholly owned by a citizen of the U.S.
Top of Page

MUST MY VESSEL BE DOCUMENTED?
Vessels of five net tons or more used in fishing activities on navigable waters of the U.S. or in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), or used in coastwise trade must be documented unless the vessel is exempt from documentation. Coastwise trade is generally defined as the transportation of merchandise or passengers between points in the U.S. or the EEZ. In addition, towboats operating between points in the U.S. or the EEZ or between the EEZ and points in the U.S. and dredges operating in the U.S. or the EEZ must be documented.
Top of Page
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY VESSEL MEASURES FIVE NET TONS?
Net tonnage is a measure of a vessel's useful capacity, expressed as a volume (gross tonnage minus deductible spaces). It should not be confused with the vessel's weight or total cargo carrying capacity, which may also be expressed in tons. Vessels of more than 25 feet are likely to measure five net tons or more under the Simplified Measurement System, although, they may measure less than five net tons if formally measured. For information about how tonnages are determined, including the Adobe Acrobat simplified measurement form that calculates tonnages, visit the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Center's web site at the Marine Safety Center's Tonnage Page Marine Safety Center's Tonnage Page.
Top of Page
WHAT VESSELS ARE EXEMPT?
Vessels that do not operate on the navigable waters of the U.S. or in the fisheries in the EEZ, are exempt from the requirement to be documented. Also exempt are Coastwise qualified, non-self-propelled vessels used in coastwise trade within a harbor, on the rivers or lakes (except the Great Lakes) of the U.S. or the internal waters or canal of any state.
Top of Page
viper0463
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby viper0463 » Jun Mon 12, 2017 12:46 am

Flyguy63 wrote:ya''ll better check , i think you have to get coastgaurd certified for those boats to i heard .

Also

Do you need Indiana Boating education?
Indiana
You need education if you are at least 15 years old and will be operating a motorboat or PWC but do not have an Indiana driver’s license.

There is no minimum age requirement to take this online course.

You do not have to be a resident of Indiana to take this online course.

Elsewhere
Boating education is currently required in several U.S. states and Canadian provinces.

Age and Operator Restrictions
No one under 15 years of age may legally operate a motorboat greater than 10 hp or a PWC.

Boaters who are 15 years of age may operate a motorboat or PWC until they become a licensed driver only if they complete a boater education course approved by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources and have on board an ID card issued by the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).

A person who has never been licensed by the BMV must complete an approved boater education course successfully and have on board an ID issued by the Indiana BMV to operate a motorboat legally.

All other motorboat or PWC operators must have a valid vehicle driver’s license to operate on all Indiana public waters.

Enforcement
Indiana law enforcement officers patrol the waterways to make your boating experience safe and pleasant. Cooperate with them by following the laws and guidelines.

Carry the Card: Vessel operators who are required to have a Boater Education Card must carry the card on board the vessel and have it available for inspection by an enforcement officer.

Penalty: Not carrying your Boater Education Card when one is required can result in a fine.

Is the Boating Card the same as the Boating License?
The Indiana Boater Education Certificate is proof that you have successfully completed all of the components of an approved Boating safety course and allows you to go boating. Because the Boating education card or certificate does not expire and does not need to be renewed, it is not called the Indiana Boating License.

Even if not required by law to get the Indiana boating education card, many boaters take the boat safety course in order to save on their PWC or boat insurance.

Do your part to make boating in Indiana an enjoyable pastime! Become an educated, responsible boater by completing the Boat Indiana course, and practice what you learn.

Reciprocity
All states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)

Return to “Boats, Motors, and Trailers”