outboard swap and trailer bunk redo

Questions, Answers, Tips & Tricks to maintain your equipment.

Moderator: fire831

handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: outboard swap and trailer bunk redo

Postby handyandy » Mar Thu 23, 2017 1:53 pm

After the extension was fully welded I cleaned it up using a flapper wheel and lighter stainless steel wire wheel on the grinder to prep it for paint. I used a aluminum acid etching wash to clean it before I sprayed it with parkers duck boat primer. After the primer dried I then coated over it with herculiner to try and match the truck bed like coating this thing was originally painted with. After the herculiner dried some I painted over it with flat rattle can camo paint and using some stencils a friend had from painting his boat to try and match the original camo pattern as best I could. It's not spot on but close enough for me and turned out pretty well I think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
why does everything have to get in the way of fishing and hunting?
handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby handyandy » Mar Thu 23, 2017 1:57 pm

After the paint gets faded some, and dirt on it I think it will match the old paint on the boat pretty well. But once it cured I proceeded to mount the jack plate back on, then bolted the engine back up. I used some welding vise grip clamps to hold the jack plate in place, centered on the transom to drill the holes. I used some silicon to seal up the bolt holes going through the transom. Used the engine hoist and got help from a friend to get the motor hung on the jack plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby handyandy » Mar Thu 23, 2017 2:01 pm

So for anyone that is curious why I made the swap when I had/ still have the old engine that ran fine. It's kind of like when you're a chevy guy and your driving a ford cause you got a good deal on it. Even if the ford truck is fine you still want a chevy and end up buying a chevy once you find a deal on one. I'm a omc guy and the 56ci omc triple two strokes like I put on were and still are arguably one of the best outboards in this size range. They just run faster than any other outboard in this size range with a jet. At some point I'll probably pull the reeds and clean up the reed cage and put chris carson reeds in and maybe shave the head down some for a little added performance. I'm going to run it as it for now though. For now I still have the merc sitting in my garage debating if I want to hang on to it or sell it. Don't know why I wanna hang on to it but I kind of want to as it's one of the better engines merc made. Only better engine merc made in this size range was the 1998 and later two strokes that were 59ci three cylinders vs mine that is around 52ci two stroke three cylinder. I'm biased and don't consider any four stroke superior to these two strokes in these mid range outboards. The four strokes are much better than they use to be but when mercury has to cut down the new stainless impellers in the 60/40 jets so the four stroke can spin them in their power band that says something. When the two strokes turned the old style stainless impellers just fine with no need to cut back the top edge of the impeller. Something about triple two strokes they just work well and run. I'm partial to two strokes and have a hard time letting go of good engines even if I'm not using them. I'll probably clean it up maybe touch the paint up and sell it once I get tired of up taking up space. Haven't had a chance to run the boat yet with the omc as I just got it bolted up and set the height last night. I will post up results once I have them.
handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby handyandy » Mar Thu 23, 2017 2:02 pm

Also while doing this I swapped my trolling motor from the motorguide that took a dump on me to a minnkota powerdrive V2 55lb thrust I scored off the list for pretty cheap in like new shape. It has autopilot and the built in transducer I want to get the ipilot remote for it. Hopefully it will last longer than my motorguide did. I have a new garmin fish finder with down scan I still need to put in and will probably hook my old fish finder up to the minnkota's transducer and have one up front as well. This may not have been a huge project swapping a jet ski power plant in a jon boat but I thought it was a relevant one for anyone that may be considering swapping to a jet. As jet outboards need to run about 6" higher than their prop counterparts, and making a transom extension is something you would have to do. Unless you had a tall transom with a prop a put on a short shaft outboard jet engine. I went ahead and threw in the trailer redo as well since I was at thought maybe someone might like it.
handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby handyandy » Mar Thu 23, 2017 2:04 pm

So since doing this swap around a week ago and after having the boat out this past weekend on the ohio the performance was pretty good. With three guys, cooler of drinks, fishing stuff, my dog, live well cooler filled with 10 gals or so of water the boat went 27mph up stream in the ohio which has pretty good current. Down stream I was able to go almost 30mph. Haven't gps'd it yet with just me in it.
Steve
IA TEAM MEMBER

Postby Steve » Mar Thu 23, 2017 5:09 pm

I love seeing projects like these. Nice work.
Knight Of The Precariously Skewed Table
handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby handyandy » Mar Fri 24, 2017 9:02 am

thanks
hilly77p
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF

Postby hilly77p » Mar Fri 24, 2017 9:43 am

looks like a sweet ride. good work!
Greg2ha
Commander
Commander

Postby Greg2ha » Mar Mon 27, 2017 5:49 am

Great mods brother! To be able to store my boat at my house I sold my welding table and welder to have more room. I was planning on trading truck in with the next 1-2 years. Motor went out last July on 69 with boat in tow. Ended up putting new motor in so now I am gonna keep my truck longer but as all chevy owners know I need to weld cab corners, rockers and of course a new bumper. Needless to say I wish I had my little miller back:(
handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby handyandy » Mar Mon 27, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks took some work, I've had the hull a while and really like it. They're times when I wish I had bigger boat, but it works for me really well 85-90% of the time. Rest of the time I just deal with it not being the perfect boat. With that said when that hull is finally scrap metal I'll probably get a 17ft or 18ft hull set up pretty much same way.

I would never sell my welders off unless I bought different ones to replace one with always come in handy well worth having. With that said the hobarts are great I love mine honestly glad I didn't bother spending more on the miller. It's heavier being a transformer powered mig welder vs on of the inverter powered ones. The way I see inverter welders have been around forever and plenty are still running strong afters years of use. Inverters seem to work great and are light weight, but they haven't been as time proven yet. I was a little worried at first getting the hobart thinking I wouldn't like the volatge taps and would wish it had infinite variable voltage adjustment, but it has enough settings I've yet to wish it had more adjustment. On the rust It's not just chevy's all trucks rot out eventually, quicker around here with all the dang salt they dump on the roads it kills vehicles. I usually don't keep the boat in the garage I actually put up one of those cheap harbor freight portable garages and cemented in the four center post I figured it wouldn't have lasted long at all but it's two years old now works great keeps the boat out of the elements just the right size for a boat like mine.

Return to “Boats, Motors, and Trailers”