Father/son Time

Post your North East Indiana Angling Reports, information, and Bait Shops here.
Salt
2010 IA Deerhunting Co-Champ, 2011 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 IA Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Walleye HOF X2
2010 IA Deerhunting Co-Champ, 2011 IA Mushroom Contest Champion,  IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 IA  Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Deerhunting Champion,  2014 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Walleye HOF X2

Father/son Time

Postby Salt » Aug Tue 01, 2017 6:46 am

A couple of weeks ago my son and I took a trip to Gander Mountain to see if we could find any good deals. On the way home, he says to me "dad, I think I'd like to have my own tackle box." Brendan loves to fish. I have an abundance of tackle and poles. So, he has just always used my stuff. That evening I was thinking about what he had said. I decided that I would do what any good dad would do. We went out to the garage, got out both my big tackle boxes, and proceeded to have a school yard pick of every hook, sinker, worm, spinner, and Rapala I owned. He just stood there in disbelief and kept saying "I can't believe this." He now has a great start to a tackle box that will keep him fishing for the rest of his life.

Fast forward to this past weekend. We spent the weekend together at my mom and step-dad's lake cottage. On Saturday, we took a 45 minute ride up the channel to the next lake over. I had read that this lake was stocked with walleye, my new found passion. We trolled crawler harnesses and rattle traps for a couple hours with no luck. Brendan said, Dad, see that tree over there laying down in the water? Let's fish it!

So, we set up just on the edge of the tree and tossed minnows under a bobber. It didn't take long before Brendan's pole caught fire and he started pulling out nice slab crappie one after another.

I was fishing 5ft away from him and couldn't buy a bite. Finally my bobber goes down and I set the hook. I knew right away this wasn't a crappie. Maybe a big bass or a pike? Nope! It's a walleye!!! Brendan grabs the net and we get this hog in the boat. Is it another HOF??? Yep
23.5 inches.

We headed back to the cottage for an early supper then back out for the evening bite. Only one bite for the evening with a nice 22 inch eye caught on a rattle trap.

Sunday morning we went back through the channel to the hot spot. It didn't take long and the walleye started hitting. My pole was hot this day as I managed a limit of walleye and 4 nice crappie. Brendan got his first legal walleye as well. The largest today was 22 inches and ranged down to 16 inches. I also released 1 short and we had 3 fish get loose at the boat.

This turned out to be one of the best fishing trips of my life. All right here in Northeast Indiana!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image Image Image Image
hilly77p
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF

Re: Father/son Time

Postby hilly77p » Aug Tue 01, 2017 7:28 am

Nice job guys!

chewbacca
2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY CHAMPION
2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY CHAMPION

Postby chewbacca » Aug Tue 01, 2017 8:08 am

Great post! That is some good eating right there but not near as good as the memories that were made during this trip. My son has decided that he doesn't want to play travel baseball next year because he wants to spend more time fishing and camping with me...and as much as I love coaching it, I'm pretty cool with his decision.
Work is for people who don't know how to fish!
Greenedog
2014 IA Online contest Deerhunting Runner Up
2014 IA Online contest Deerhunting Runner Up

Postby Greenedog » Aug Tue 01, 2017 8:25 am

Those are the memories that will last a lifetime right there! :coolth
Salt
2010 IA Deerhunting Co-Champ, 2011 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 IA Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Walleye HOF X2
2010 IA Deerhunting Co-Champ, 2011 IA Mushroom Contest Champion,  IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 IA  Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Deerhunting Champion,  2014 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Walleye HOF X2

Father/son Time

Postby Salt » Aug Tue 01, 2017 9:23 am

Chewy, after playing 24 games in 5 weeks of high school ball, Brendan said he didn't want to play summer travel. We have more fun and gotten so much done this summer. I haven't had to take time off to mow or try to mow during my lunch break this whole summer. And I haven't missed the stress of scheduling games and complaining parents!

Image Image Image Image
JoeB1
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby JoeB1 » Aug Tue 01, 2017 10:18 am

Good post ! Nice job guys ! Enjoy the times you have together.
Last edited by JoeB1 on Aug Tue 01, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natahka72
Captain
Captain

Postby natahka72 » Aug Tue 01, 2017 11:38 am

Great story! Thanks for sharing! :tup
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Postby Prybis » Aug Tue 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Very nice.
Mike P.
Goosepond Monster
IA Bluegill HOF 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up
IA Bluegill HOF 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up

Postby Goosepond Monster » Aug Tue 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Looks like the perfect weekend to me. The fact that you caught fish is merely icing on the cake.
fishlips
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion

Postby fishlips » Aug Tue 01, 2017 6:05 pm

Great time spent together,and congrats on some dandy fish
Last edited by fishlips on Aug Tue 01, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “North East Indiana Fishing Reports and Information”