IA 2013 Fly Fishing tournament

Moderator: jimmycrown

jimmycrown
IAIFS Staff
IAIFS Staff

IA 2013 Fly Fishing tournament

Postby jimmycrown » Mar Sat 23, 2013 2:11 pm

welcome to the 1st annual fly fishing tournament for indiana angler . the following are rules

1. This is open to all IA members.
2. There is no entry fee, this is a bragging right tournament.
3. Contest will run from April 1, 2013 to September 1, 2013.
4. All entries must be caught in Indiana. All entries must meet state requirements.
5. All posted entries must be measured and have fly rod in photo and please post body of water that fish was caught .
6. All entries will be scored in will be done by judges.
7. All species in Indiana waters are eligible.

If there are any questions please pm me. Thank you and good luck.
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Re: IA 2013 Fly Fishing tournament

Postby Prybis » Mar Sat 23, 2013 11:46 pm

Does a Tenkara qualify as fly fishing? This is fix line fly fishing.
Mike P.
jimmycrown
IAIFS Staff
IAIFS Staff

Postby jimmycrown » Mar Sun 24, 2013 11:52 am

yes it does .
topwaterbass
IA TEAM MEMBER, 2012 IA Online Open Water Tournament Runner-up, 2013 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, 2013 IA Bass Tourney Champion, 2013 Indiana Fish of the Year Certificate Holder, 2014 Indiana Fish of the Year Certificate Holder
IA TEAM MEMBER, 2012 IA Online Open Water Tournament Runner-up, 2013 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, 2013 IA Bass Tourney Champion, 2013 Indiana Fish of the Year Certificate Holder, 2014 Indiana Fish of the Year Certificate Holder

Postby topwaterbass » Mar Sun 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Is there a sign up? or do we just put our pics up?
Thanks Jim for doing this!
:usflag1
jimmycrown
IAIFS Staff
IAIFS Staff

Postby jimmycrown » Mar Mon 25, 2013 12:02 pm

just sign up . and your in . just remeber to have flyrod in picture . that will be like your tourney card
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Postby Prybis » Mar Mon 25, 2013 1:30 pm

I normally do not enter these since I usually do not carry a ruler with me, but I think I will have to sing up for this one. Do we just sing up on this thread? If so count me in.
Mike P.
Felix
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash, 2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash,  2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ

Postby Felix » Apr Thu 04, 2013 9:13 am

Good idea Jimmy thanks!
I will Donte 5 of my favorite flys to the winner. ( not that I tie worth a !!!) but thought it may be cool.
Anyone else want to add to this may be a way for the winner to end up with a nice box of flys? And get some ideas.
The time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted!!

Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason!

I didn't vote for him............
HIGHFLAGS
2014 Bash Red Ear Champion
2014 Bash Red Ear Champion

Postby HIGHFLAGS » Apr Fri 05, 2013 6:33 pm

TENKARA.....FYI For those guys like me that did not know what it was.

Fly Fishing the Way it Used to be

Tenkara is the modern Japanese version of the earliest fly fishing. People have been fly fishing for thousands of years. And for thousands of years, a rod, a line and a fly were all they had - and all they needed.

The fly reel is a relatively modern invention, and it offers some significant advantages - allowing the fisherman to make long casts and allowing a hooked fish to make long runs. With every advance, though, something gets left behind. In fly fishing, what got left behind was the ability to get drag-free drifts in tricky currents by keeping a light line off the water's surface. Also, the direct connection between the angler and the fish was lost, or at least diminished, when fish started pull against the drag instead of the rod.

The Japanese did not invent fly fishing, and very similar styles of "rod-line-fly" fishing existed throughout Europe - and probably throughout much of the world. What is different, though, is that the Japanese did not give up on that simple fishing style after reels were invented or even after reels became common. The simple style also held out in a small area of northwestern Italy, but it is tenkara that has been introduced - or perhaps reintroduced - to the world in the last few years.

Fishing a mountain stream in Japan

In Japan, tenkara was used to fish for trout and charr in small, high gradient mountain streams. For small mountain streams, tenkara really is an ideal way to fish. You don't make long casts and the fish don't make long runs, so you don't need a reel. There are cross currents everywhere and the long rod and light line used in tenkara make it much easier to get a drag-free drift or to keep a fly in an eddy. Because the line is in the air and not on the water, there is no need to mend. There is no excess fly line to step on or get tangled in sticks and snags.

That lack of excess line to manage makes tenkara the easiest way for a beginner to learn fly fishing. It is really pretty intuitive and a complete beginner can pick it up without having to take casting lessons. Plus, the whole emphasis is on the fishing - on presentation rather than immitation. Matching the hatch is not emphasized - and learning latin is absolutely unnecessary! Some tenkara anglers use only one fly pattern, and many use only a handful.

Masaki Nakano, Gallatin R. MT

Tenkara rods are long. Most are 11 to 14.5 feet but there are shorter rods for fishing tight overgrown streams. Despite their length, they are very light, ranging from under 2 ounces up to perhaps 4 ounces for the longest rods. They are also telescopic, and collapse to between 15" and 24", depending on the model. That makes them very easy to transport - whether walking down the trail to the next pool or taking on the plane in your carry-on luggage. They are so supple that they can subdue larger fish than you would expect, and still protect very light tippets. (A couple of the photos on the site are of 20+ inch fish caught on 6X tippets.)

Tenkara lines are usually about the length of the rods, but they are very light - lighter than the lightest fly line. The long rod and light line allow you to keep almost all your line off the water, greatly reducing drag. Reduced drag yeilds better presentation, and better presentations yield more fish.

It is said that the normal progression of a fly fisherman is to go from wanting to catch any fish, to wanting to catch lots of fish, to wanting to catch big fish, to wanting to catch big, challenging, hard to catch fish. Tenkara is for people who have no need to catch big fish either because they have gotten over it or because they have never gotten into it. The pages on this site have photos of surprisingly large fish that have been caught on tenkara rods - so it can be done - it's just not what I think of when I think of tenkara.

There seem to be two schools of thought with respect to tenkara in the Western World. One suggests that tenkara should remain pure and true to the way it is practiced in Japan. The other is that tenkara is a lot of fun, but "tenkara as practiced in Japan" is so narrowly defined that it excludes many of the techniques and fly choices that most Americans, most Westerners really, use with their tenkara rods. The narrow definition also excludes lots of interesting rods - rods that in some cases are better suited to the way we actually fish than "tenkara" rods are.
Felix
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash, 2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash,  2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ

Postby Felix » Apr Sun 07, 2013 11:35 pm

Is this biggest fish. Or is there I running total?
The time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted!!

Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason!

I didn't vote for him............
jimmycrown
IAIFS Staff
IAIFS Staff

Postby jimmycrown » Apr Mon 08, 2013 6:00 am

Running total

Return to “2013 Fly Fishing Contest”