Dehydrating mushrooms

Tips & Tricks for finding and preparing those tasty Spring Morels.

Moderator: princecraft

fishlips
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion

Dehydrating mushrooms

Postby fishlips » Oct Sun 30, 2016 9:18 pm

I have talked with a couple guys this fall that dehydrate their sheephead roons,so I gave it a try.I will store them in canning jars in the pantry.They say the mushrooms rehydrate very good or just throw em in soup or stew dried.Also I was lookin online and where to grind them into powder and add that to dishs,or butter and put on a steak, sounds good.Any of you guys ever dehydrate them ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fisherdee
Captain
Captain

Re: Dehydrating mushrooms

Postby fisherdee » Oct Mon 31, 2016 7:44 am

Never done that but I dont see why it would not work. Some foods like hash brown potatoes take well to the process. A couple handful in a pot of soup, Yeah! What was your process?
"Retired - Now I only fish the good days, not just the off days!"
http://www.fisherdee.wordpress.com
fishlips

Postby fishlips » Oct Mon 31, 2016 11:28 am

I just cleaned em, pat dry with dish towel and paper towels,put into dehydrater until done,about 6-8 hr.
MC_angler
2015 Princecraft Award Winner
2015 Princecraft Award Winner

Postby MC_angler » Oct Mon 31, 2016 11:48 am

Yes, I have dehydrated morels and chicken of the woods. Works great. Not as good as fresh, but they rehydrate really well
“Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher 'standard of living' is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free. For us of the minority, the opportunity to see geese is more important than television.”
― Aldo Leopold
Nobote
Captain
Captain

Postby Nobote » Nov Fri 04, 2016 9:44 pm

chicken mushrooms lose most of their flavor when dehydrated and are difficult to rehydrate.

for use in food rehydrate your mushrooms for 24 hours in beef broth, wine or a combination there of.

hen of the woods can be used a a medicinal tea in its dried state.

if you have a lot of mushrooms to process making duxelle is a good way to preserve them. as is canning.
You never see a fishing boat parked in front of a psychiatrists office .....
fishlips

Postby fishlips » Nov Sat 05, 2016 9:50 am

What is duxelle?
Nobote
Captain
Captain

Postby Nobote » Nov Sat 05, 2016 10:58 pm

Its ground mushrooms reduced in a craplaod of butter. Just run the mushrooms through a 3/8th cheese grating wheel on a food processor, drop a whole lb of butter in a 6 quart stock pot and cool 4-5 lbs of mushrooms down....youre driving the water out and replacing it with fat, so it may take an hiur or two It makes an intense mushroom flavored paste..paste really isnt a good descriptor though.
When its done salt it and add some fresh chopped parsely and freeze in canning jars or yogurt cups.

Stuff a steak with it, add to a sauce or soup, use as a stuffing ingredient.
I mix it with julienne zuccini and stuff squash blossoms then fry them.
You never see a fishing boat parked in front of a psychiatrists office .....
bwteal
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby bwteal » Apr Thu 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Just going through the mushroom post and noticed yours Scott. Sorry for the late reply. I've taken gallon bags of Maitake, separate them out in freezer bags, add water, and freeze them. They fry up just a good as the originals.
Have Perch...will travel...
Dean

Return to “Mushroom Hunting”