Looking for a spot

Talk about your camping adventures here, recommend campgrounds, ask camping related questions, etc.

Moderator: infernoxd45

yakitup
Ensign
Ensign

Looking for a spot

Postby yakitup » Feb Sun 16, 2014 7:00 pm

Hey guys looking for a little help here. I'm in the beginnings of planning our annual spring camping fishing trip and want to see if you have any advice for me.

I'm looking for a spot anywhere from Sellersburg Indiana to West Lafayette Indiana.

Obviously would like some good fishing and good spots to camp. We fish out of kayaks and camp with tents and hammocks.

If any of you had any camping adventures like this that you'd be willing to share?
Goosepond Monster
IA Bluegill HOF 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up

Re: Looking for a spot

Postby Goosepond Monster » Feb Sun 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Lots of good camping spots and good places to fish in the Greene-Sullivan State Forest.
fisherdee
Captain
Captain

Postby fisherdee » Feb Sun 16, 2014 7:21 pm

dogwood lake, paynetown sra on monroe has some campsites right on the water. Summit lake has sites on the water.
"Retired - Now I only fish the good days, not just the off days!"
http://www.fisherdee.wordpress.com
Felix
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash, 2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash,  2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ

Postby Felix » Feb Sun 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Lake Waveland. They have lake front camp sites and the fishing in my opinion is second to none!! But don't tell anyone it's my secrete........ ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted!!

Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason!

I didn't vote for him............
yakitup
Ensign
Ensign

Postby yakitup » Feb Sun 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Goosepond Monster wrote:Lots of good camping spots and good places to fish in the Greene-Sullivan State Forest.

Goose...Greene-Sullivan looks like an awesome spot to camp and fish. I've been researching on the web quite a bit. Where do you recommend camping in the forest? What are your favorite spots to fish in the forest? Do the campgrounds offer showers or not?

Appreciate your help.
Goosepond Monster

Postby Goosepond Monster » Feb Sun 16, 2014 10:17 pm

There are campgrounds close to a couple of the lakes. I know they recently built new cabins near Narrow Lake. Wampler has a nice camping area, but I'm not sure if it is primitive camping or not. I'm not sure of the shower situation.

Plenty of good fishing spots. Reservoir 26, Airline Lake and Wampler Lake are good places to start.

Shakamak State Park is another spot nearby that provides nice camping opportunities as well as good fishing.
Raisin' Striper
IA TEAM MEMBER, IA Striper HOF(X2), IA Wiper HOF, 5th 2013 Bash
IA TEAM MEMBER, IA Striper HOF(X2), IA Wiper HOF, 5th 2013 Bash

Postby Raisin' Striper » Feb Mon 17, 2014 9:27 am

fisherdee wrote:dogwood lake, paynetown sra on monroe has some campsites right on the water. Summit lake has sites on the water.

Nothing better than camping lakeside.
Great Day to be an American-Bad Day to be a Fish!
Greenedog
2014 IA Online contest Deerhunting Runner Up
2014 IA Online contest Deerhunting Runner Up

Postby Greenedog » Feb Mon 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Wampler Lake would be a great place for kayaks. Shoot, you could probably spend a week exploring all the nooks and crannies of that one pit! Plus you'd have another 100+ pits to explore if you got tired of that one.
Wampler...

Close up of the campground, most all of the sites are on the water.

The drawback to Greene-Sullivan is that it's primitive camping only with pit toilets. Reservoir 26 has a campground, it's nice, but below the dam and not on the water. The fish cleaning station is across the road from that campground. It's been so long since I've been through the Narrow Lake campground that I can't remember if there's any sites on the water.

I'd like to recommend Shakamak State Park, but the campground is about in the worst part of the park they could have put it in. It's fairly close to Lenape Lake, but the water is down a big hill. Shakamak S.P. was an awesome place to stay back when the campground was over on Kickapoo.

Like Dee was saying, Dogwood has a really nice campground. I don't think there's any sites directly on the water that I remember though? Paynetown on Monroe has some good sites. I wrote all the best ones down when I was there once and I'll post them if I can find my notepad.(Might have gone with the RV when it sold.)

Another campground that not a lot of folks other than locals know about is Fowler Park, ran by the Vigo County Parks & Rec. It consists of a lake and a few other small pits...the main lake is the one with the road around it, the pits are the 2 small ones to the left of the lake(kind of a big hill to climb to get to those), and the long pit to the right.

The majority of the sites are right on the water, including a really cool tent site on a point by it's self. There's a couple shower houses there(1 nicer one that was built just a few years ago.)
Close-up of the Fowler campground...

Another cool thing about Fowler is the pioneer village with a covered bridge going across a small neck in the lake...

Fowler was always a favorite of the wife and kids. The kids loved it because they could roast a wienie in one hand and hold a fishing rod with the other. :mrgreen: The first choice for me would still be Greene-Sullivan though. I'm gonna convert back to tent or hammock camping this year and spend some time there myself. ;)
yakitup
Ensign
Ensign

Postby yakitup » Feb Mon 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Awesome post Greenedog! BTW..if any of you would be interested in joining us, you're more than welcome! I think I'm gonna give the Greene-Sullivan a try. Might do a road trip to scout it out sometime soon. Any more information you guys have to share, bring it on! I'm lovin it!
Rico
2011 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up, 2012 IA Icefishing Champion, 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2013 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2016 Mushroom Contest Champion
2011 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up, 2012 IA Icefishing Champion, 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2013 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2016 Mushroom Contest Champion

Postby Rico » Feb Tue 18, 2014 3:57 pm

You just let me know if you are interested in the Kosciusko, Whitley, Noble county areas. Walleye, Northern Pike, Muskie, Perch, and even Trout. Just sayin'!
G&G Ice Pro Staff

Return to “Camping”