Raccoon Lake in June

Talk about your camping adventures here, recommend campgrounds, ask camping related questions, etc.

Moderator: infernoxd45

fisherdee
Captain
Captain

Raccoon Lake in June

Postby fisherdee » Jun Mon 23, 2014 7:50 am

Well i just got back from 2 weeks camping in June. Its nice to get home. The first week concentrated on panfish as we were having a fish fry for family on the weekend. Even the pan fish were hard to come by? We did manage a couple of nice catches to supply our needs and had a wonderful time on fathers day.
Fathers Day weekend the campground was filled to capacity and actually turning away campers. In a matter of hours the place turned in a high tech refugee camp!.
The second week I concentrated on Stripers. Up each morning at 5am and troll some bluegills or bucktails. The fish were scattered. You can cover a lot of water with bucktails and we still could not find the schools of Striper. Lots of marks but no schools. I manage to hook two but both got away. One was a huge boy and he got hung on the buoy cables near the dam.
On the weekends the lake was so busy I did not get on the water. We actually went and sit on the ramp and watched the drama unfold. Its pretty entertaining actually, especially if there is a little wind. It was a peaceful two weeks except for the weekend. Cool the first week, and hot as blazes the second.
My next trip is in July, heading for a week in Wisconsin with my daughter near Green Bay and then from there back to Minaki Ontario for another month of awesome Walleye and Pike fishing.
Water temp on raccoon last day was 81 and the Stripers were starting to school up near the deep water.
"Retired - Now I only fish the good days, not just the off days!"
http://www.fisherdee.wordpress.com
Raisin' Striper
IA TEAM MEMBER, IA Striper HOF(X2), IA Wiper HOF, 5th 2013 Bash
IA TEAM MEMBER, IA Striper HOF(X2), IA Wiper HOF, 5th 2013 Bash

Re: Raccoon Lake in June

Postby Raisin' Striper » Jun Mon 23, 2014 8:00 am

Sounds like a great trip even though you didn't catch as many. Appreciate the report. :tup
Great Day to be an American-Bad Day to be a Fish!
fishlips
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion

Postby fishlips » Jun Mon 23, 2014 11:00 am

Sounds like a relaxing time,I know what you mean as far as watching the festivities at the ramp,its a HOOT to go to the ramps in M City on Lk Mich and watch all the Chicago weekend warriors TRYING to back their boats and jet skies down the ramp,unhooking and hooking their riggs up,usually the wife or girlfriend is screaming at the driver and vise versa,it would make a great vidio!
Felix
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash, 2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash,  2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ

Postby Felix » Jun Mon 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Nice report! Better luck on your next trip!!!!
The time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted!!

Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason!

I didn't vote for him............

Return to “Camping”