Berlin Reservoir July 4-6

Please post Ohio fishing reports and information here.

Moderator: bubbagill

dadair
Commander
Commander

Berlin Reservoir July 4-6

Postby dadair » Jul Sun 07, 2013 4:56 pm

I visited my brother over the holidays for a little Ohio walleye action. And I mean a little! Got out Thursday PM for a few hours and I think we caught 8 or so eyes with most going 14.5 on a 15 inch lake. We had one 16 incher for the day. Headed out Friday thinking we could get a few even if they didn’t measure. Started with jig and worm and could only pull one dink after several hours of trying. Switched to trolling and did marginally better landing 3 keepers to 19 inches. Saturday we decided to pull blades since about every guy on the lake that targets eyes was doing so. I’m a quick study……

I don’t know that game very well and wasn’t fishing with much confidence. The first three hours, nothing of any kind bit and then my brother got slammed but lost a nice eye at the boat. Then he puts a 20 incher in the well and then one that ran 17 or so. I’m thinking ok, maybe we are starting to figure this out. He caught a couple cats and then had another come unbuttoned. Then things just died. We switched over to cranks he got one more to make it 3 for the day. Me, I just drove the boat……..

I think our biggest problem was that we had heavy inline sinkers targeting suspended fish at 15’. That meant short leads and lots of bouncing. With all the holiday boat traffic, the baits hardly ever settled down. I think lighter weights, with baits out farther back from the boat might have produced better. It may have minimized the bouncing. Not sure but tried something new and have some ideas for next time.
dadair
Commander
Commander

Re: Berlin Reservoir July 4-6

Postby dadair » Jul Sun 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Geez, I posted 3 times.....wasn't even that good a trip. :lol: Sorry guys.
Salt
2010 IA Deerhunting Co-Champ, 2011 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 IA Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Walleye HOF X2
2010 IA Deerhunting Co-Champ, 2011 IA Mushroom Contest Champion,  IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 IA  Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Deerhunting Champion,  2014 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Walleye HOF X2

Postby Salt » Jul Sun 07, 2013 6:23 pm

I fixed it. Thanks for the post!
Image Image Image Image
crappiehunter

Postby crappiehunter » Jul Sun 07, 2013 7:40 pm

thanks for the report, sounds like a challenging trip but you got on some fish. Somedays are just fishing and not catching.
Felix
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash, 2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash,  2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ

Postby Felix » Jul Sun 07, 2013 10:39 pm

Better than a skunk!!! Boating anything is a success in my book!! Thanks for the report!
The time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted!!

Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason!

I didn't vote for him............

Return to “Ohio Fishing Reports”