french blades preferences

For all of the Lure. Rod Crafters. and Antiquie Fishing equipment out there. Post your pictures, tips, and secrets for Jig, Lure, Rod Making and Antique Equipment.

Moderator: jimmycrown

viper0463
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

french blades preferences

Postby viper0463 » Aug Wed 27, 2014 8:39 pm

Ok guys and gals for steelhead and salmon, do you guys prefer smooth finished or hammered? Also why do you prefer it? Thanks
KB2126
Ensign
Ensign

Re: french blades preferences

Postby KB2126 » Nov Tue 07, 2017 2:14 pm

I use both in silver, smooth in everything else.
No empirical reason for this but I like the hammered silver for salmon and the smooth for Steelies.
Probably for no other reason than the biggest king I ever caught took a hammered silver spoon and now it's a confidence thing.
Obviously the hammered gives more flash in stained/dirty water but strangely I've had pretty good luck w/ hammered silver that had some tarnish on it. So, go figure.
viper0463
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: french blades preferences

Postby viper0463 » Nov Tue 07, 2017 6:22 pm

KB2126 wrote:I use both in silver, smooth in everything else.
No empirical reason for this but I like the hammered silver for salmon and the smooth for Steelies.
Probably for no other reason than the biggest king I ever caught took a hammered silver spoon and now it's a confidence thing.
Obviously the hammered gives more flash in stained/dirty water but strangely I've had pretty good luck w/ hammered silver that had some tarnish on it. So, go figure.

Thank you for your input. I originally started this tread to try and get a bunch of input so I could put a video together of what people like and why but, as you see you're the only one to answer in over 3 years so that idea went on the way back burner. I'll log your input and maybe someday I'll make that video.

Return to “Lure and Rod Crafting/Antique Fishing Equipment”