Fall turkey

Moderator: Felix

iceman10
Commander
Commander

Fall turkey

Postby iceman10 » Sep Wed 25, 2013 5:06 pm

I have never shot one in the fall , but this year I will be able to hunt crossbow for a whole week with the opportunity to stick a hen or Tom turkey this year. I pulled some SD cards and there are quite a few hang around my area and man does grilled turkey and asparagus taste great!! Has anyone had any luck in the fall season for them?
Goosepond Monster
IA Bluegill HOF 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up

Re: Fall turkey

Postby Goosepond Monster » Sep Wed 25, 2013 5:42 pm

I killed one with a shotgun in the fall of 2011, my first year turkey hunting. I could have killed one while deer hunting last year, but didn't have a fall tag.

I think they are typically a target of opportunity while deer hunting, but some folks do target them. I've read they'll come to a kee-kee-run call or you can bust up a flock and then call them back to you.

It's definitely a different game from the spring. If you know where they're hanging, set up a ground blind, give it a couple days for them to get used to it and you should be able to tag one.
Goosepond Monster

Postby Goosepond Monster » Sep Thu 26, 2013 1:21 pm

I saw this article on Facebook this morning and figured I'd post it here...

Bust 'Em Up - Scattering Fall Flocks
Hunting autumn turkeys is nothing like locating and calling gobblers in the spring. In the fall, the chief tactic is to scatter a flock, then try calling it back in. But just because a flock flew off, doesn’t mean it scattered properly. Hunters often waste time calling turkeys that merely spooked and flew off together in the same direction.

Try these scatter-and-call tips:

Sneak as close as possible, using what cover is available.

Look carefully to see what the flock is made of; this will affect the way you call and what strategy you employ.

Rush straight at the flock, making as much commotion as possible. Many hunters shout or fire their shotguns in the air. This is an excellent method, but only if you make sure not to shoot so closely that you accidentally cripple a turkey. You also should never run while carrying a firearm.

If the birds merely spooked in a single direction, don't give up. Mark their landing area and quickly move to that spot.

Locate the birds and rush them again. It is important to split them up. Once properly split, set up as instructed in step 4 and begin calling. Staying at the “break point” is key to your success because that's where the birds will attempt to regroup.

http://www.nwtf.org/tips_adventures/tip ... gn=hunting
Goosepond Monster

Postby Goosepond Monster » Oct Fri 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Another good article on hunting turkeys in the fall...

Whether you’ve shot your buck early or are just looking for a new bowhunting challenge, wild turkeys offer opportunity and excitement—and the finest meal ever to hit your Thanksgiving table. While bowhunters continue to discover the joys of spring turkey hunting, autumn’s hunt doesn’t see much stick-and-string participation. Yet archery gear is legal in all states that have fall wild turkey seasons.

Gear Considerations
Good news: You can use the same bow-and-arrow setup on wild turkeys that you would use on whitetails or other big game. Exchange ­retractable-blade broadheads for fixed-blade models, though, to ensure immediate impact and cutting power. On a broadside bird, shoot for the joint where the wing meets the body. On facing-away birds, aim for a middle-of-the-back spine shot.

Because turkeys are ever-vigilant for aerial attacks by hawks and owls—and are easily spooked by any perceived threat from above— you’re best off hunting from a ground blind to hide the movement it takes to draw your bow. Get a small flock of three to five decoys to replicate the wild turkey’s fall habit of traveling in groups. Keep calling simple: Yelps on a box call work great, along with some clucks and purrs and kee-kee whistles.

Five Setups
1) The Fall Classic: Scatter a flock hither and yon, set up, and call the gregarious birds back in. This may be the classic fall hunt, but it’s a bit tough to do when you’re carrying a portable blind. Bowhunters should hunt intact flocks of unsuspecting birds or stay on their feet behind a tree when recalling scattered birds.

2) Hunt Feeding Fields: In the early morning and late afternoon, set up on a harvested field of corn, soybeans, wheat, or other grain, or still-green alfalfa. Stick to the inside corners and other secluded coves and lobes of fields.

3) Hunt Oak Ridges or Flats: Midday, head to the cover of the woods, preferably oak groves where birds scratch for acorns.This is a likely roost area.

4) Hunt the Roost Area: Pitch your blind on a travel route to or from the birds’ roost site.

5) Hunt Water or Moisture: A warm, dry fall moves birds to creek bottoms, pond areas, and spring seeps in the woods where both moisture and forage (greens and bugs) abound.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/strut- ... ll-turkeys
Felix
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash, 2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash,  2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ

Postby Felix » Oct Fri 18, 2013 12:37 pm

I hunt Marshall County. It is shotgun there now so I will be carrying a bow and my Turkey Slayer with me....!
The time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted!!

Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason!

I didn't vote for him............
Goosepond Monster

Postby Goosepond Monster » Oct Fri 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Felix wrote:I hunt Marshall County. It is shotgun there now so I will be carrying a bow and my Turkey Slayer with me....!

You may want to check the regs on that. Seems like I recall reading that you cannot carry both into the woods.
Felix
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash, 2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash,  2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ

Postby Felix » Oct Fri 18, 2013 2:19 pm

No it's all good. I can't have the gun loaded with slugs though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
The time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted!!

Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason!

I didn't vote for him............

Return to “Turkey Hunting”