Got my bird.

Moderator: Felix

sculver7
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got my bird.

Postby sculver7 » May Sat 07, 2016 5:57 pm

Wanted to share with you all but have been so busy with work.
Went out last Saturday morning with my brother-in-law. We set up on the edge of a woods facing out into the field. We set 3 hen dekes and 1 jake deke up out in the field about 20 yards from our blind. It was just starting to get light when I saw movement to my right. There was a deer about 40 yds from us checking out our decoys. A couple minutes later, two more deer showed up. I had my video camera with a tripod and thought about trying to video tape the deer but it was too dark. The deer took off a couple minutes later. It was starting to really get bright out by the time we heard the first gobble. It was from a woods about half a mile away. I decided to do a gobble call to see if we would get a response. As soon as I called, a gobble came from the woods that we were backed up to. About 10 minutes later, off to our right, 3 toms swooped down from the trees and start strutting, looking at our dekes. They were about 75 yds and would not come any closer. I picked up the video camera while Ryan did some soft calling. We watched them for about 5 minutes when all of a sudden, it sounded like a very close helicopter to our left. Ryan turned toward where the noise was coming from and his face looked like he had seen a ghost. Six feet from our blind, in full strut, were three gobblers. We sat very still for what seemed an eternity. Now I had two options: put my camera on the tripod and risk scaring the birds or put the camera down behind me and grab my gun. I chose the latter. We each raised our gun, counted to three and fired. There was an explosion of feathers and both birds dropped. We were pumped. All of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, I see the three birds that were off to our right come charging in at our wounded birds. As soon as they get into our spread, one of the birds jumped on my jake decoy and started beating the crap out of it. We watched them for about three minutes until finally, one of them went after Ryan's dying bird. I had to run out and scare it off so it didn't tear his bird to pieces. Anyways, one bird was 22 lbs, the other was 21 lbs. Both beards were right at ten inches. Legal light was 5:15. We watched all this happen and were headed back to the truck, birds in-hand, by 6:00.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sculver7 on May Mon 09, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daybreak
One Star Rear Admiral
One Star Rear Admiral

Re: Got my bird.

Postby Daybreak » May Sat 07, 2016 6:50 pm

That is so cool!!! Congrats!!! Great report!
LUND, The Ultimate Fishing Experience
hilly77p
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF

Postby hilly77p » May Sat 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Cool story. Congrats on the birds
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Postby Prybis » May Sat 07, 2016 8:22 pm

Great report.
Mike P.
natahka72
Captain
Captain

Postby natahka72 » May Sat 07, 2016 9:15 pm

Love that story!!!!! Congrats!!
Greg2ha
Commander
Commander

Postby Greg2ha » May Sun 08, 2016 5:00 am

Nice!
jimmycrown
IAIFS Staff
IAIFS Staff

Postby jimmycrown » May Sun 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Congrats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
fishlips
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion

Postby fishlips » May Sun 08, 2016 9:38 pm

Nice job Seth,great looking birds!!!Sounds like the perfect hunt.

Return to “Turkey Hunting”