A good and short season....

Moderator: Felix

BigMac
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

A good and short season....

Postby BigMac » May Thu 02, 2013 7:45 am

Hey guys, I haven't been around much lately, but had a lot going on in the personal side of things. But I did manage to make it out to do some turkey hunting.

My Uncle, 2 buddies and I made our annual trip to Switzerland County for a week of hunting. Well it turned out to be a short week of hunting and a long week of relaxing!

I got to my blind on opening morning just before sunlight and set up a lone hen decoy at 25yds in the pasture field. At first light I had three gobblers sounding off almsot directly behind my blind, along with several hens. I tree yelped a few times and each time the three gobblers would answer. I was a littel nervous about all the hens, but they were roosted very near the edge of the field and I hoped they would fly down to the open field. Just about 7:00 I heard the first birds fly down and they were close. I looked to my right ands saw two hens walk into the field, and then more wings and two more hens, and then two more hens flew into the field. The hens started walking towards my decoy. Then I heard two gobbles and what sound like a small plane crashing into the woods, and then two gobblers entered the field side by side strutting to my decoy. The bird were neck and neck the whole way to the decoy and I could have took both of them with one shot. I was beginning to get nervous that they may just keep walking that way and I may not get a shot. Finally as they passed the decoy the smaller bird turned and walked back to the hens and the larger bird came out of full strut. I put my sights on and and pulled the trigger and down he went. My shortest season ever...done at 7:01 open morning! The other turkey continued to mill around in the field for nearly 25mins and the other tom would gobble at anything that moved. Finally they moved off and I retireved my bird. I went back to my blind as the other guys were still hunting and I didn't want to mess them up. About 20mins later I looked up and there were three jakes heading to my decoy...at one point I could have taken all three of them with one shot. Soooo I could have had five legal birds down with two shots in the first hour of the hunt...if it were legal, lol.

The jakes ended up moving on to one of our buddies and he shot one. On Thursday, my Uncle took a jake, our other friend took a nice tom and were done the by 10:30. The rest of the week was full of relaxation, good food, and adult beverages.

My bird weighed 20lbs, 11' beard, and 25mm spurs...

Love spring....turkey, mushrooms, and fishing....
Millertime81
2013 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up
2013 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up

Re: A good and short season....

Postby Millertime81 » May Thu 02, 2013 10:04 am

Very nice BigMac. Thats the way to get it done.
Goosepond Monster
IA Bluegill HOF 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up
IA Bluegill HOF 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up

Postby Goosepond Monster » May Thu 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Congrats on a fine bird.
infernoxd45
IA TEAM MEMBER, 2012 IA Icefishing Runner-up, IA LM Bass HOF, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Runner-up
IA TEAM MEMBER, 2012 IA Icefishing Runner-up,  IA LM Bass HOF, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Runner-up

Postby infernoxd45 » May Thu 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Nice turkey!! :coolth

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk
Fear the Beard....
G&G Ice Pro Staff
kickinbass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby kickinbass » May Thu 02, 2013 9:35 pm

:tup :tup
BluegillBully
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby BluegillBully » May Fri 03, 2013 12:51 am

Now thats a vacation !!! way to "get 'er dun" :beerchug
DawnPatrol
2011 IA Online Contest Deerhunting Runner-up, 2013 IA Deerhunting Runner-up, IA wiper HOF
2011 IA Online Contest Deerhunting  Runner-up, 2013 IA Deerhunting Runner-up, IA wiper HOF

Postby DawnPatrol » May Thu 23, 2013 9:58 pm

Congrats!
"You never know what you will catch out of the river" ----John Pohler---my Grandpa

Return to “Turkey Hunting”