First Fox

Wild Game Trapping Pictures, Tips, and Techniques

Re: First Fox

Postby Yaz » Dec Thu 15, 2011 11:57 pm

walked up on a dead horse with the a-hole ate out and a possum crawled out of it.

YUMMY!!! :pcorn
i use to know a guy over in ur area they called Beaver Meyers who use to catch alot,, he taught a couple of my buddies. The most ive heard of was in the 60+ so far this year, T. LARSON,from up in the northern part of the state. rough going now with all the wet weather.
ditto on the fox thing,,pass from me also.
What i dont understand is back in the late 80`s- when the yotes started getting real common, our fox population went way down,, then back about 5-10 yrs ago the reds started coming back, even though the yote were still as plentiful as ever, most people i talked to said the reds were just adapting to coexist (not peacefully mind you) with the yote. Guys around here were catching close to 50/50,, but now in the last few years they are declining again.
My question is why did they come back strong for a short period of time,,even though the yotes were still thick?? and now going back downhill? :(

Funny you mention that! That is exactly what I have seen. About 5 years ago, I knew where there were three litters of red foxes. I actually had one litter in one of our old barns. I fed them, and put a trail camera in there on video mode. Made for a lot of fun. They would be out for their treats before I even shut the gate to the pasture, and on the camera. At that time I know in our area, yotes had mange and canine parvo for a few years in a row. So, I think the fox population went up a little, as the yote population went down a little. I've only seen one fox all year this year.

Re: First Fox

Postby IFORGEIRON » Dec Thu 20, 2012 1:53 am

i think eventually the red,,like the grey in my area will be a thing of the past around here b4 to long,, damn sad,, i hate skinning those stinkn hard to pull yotes!
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Trapping”