Time for coyotes...

Wild Game Trapping Pictures, Tips, and Techniques
Yaz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Time for coyotes...

Postby Yaz » Dec Fri 23, 2011 12:49 pm

After the last three nights of serenades in my back yard.....literally, and causing my dogs to bark all night keeping me up, its time to keep them honest! Plus, NOBODY messes with my beauty sleep!!! :rotf I'm not going to set any traps in my new wheat field, cause I don't want them tearing it up. The ditch behind the house has a good trail that I think I can hang a couple snares in. We bring all the old cows in to the lots this week to start calving, so every hole in the fences will have a snare in it too.
Ericjeeper
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Time for coyotes...

Postby Ericjeeper » Dec Fri 23, 2011 3:46 pm

After all these years, it is way to late to worry about that beauty sleep.. the damage is done!
Go get them yotes..
dadair
Commander
Commander

Postby dadair » Dec Fri 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Good luck! Would love to shoot one someday!
IFORGEIRON
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby IFORGEIRON » Dec Fri 23, 2011 6:12 pm

YAZ,,
Get some pics bud,, i never really did snares much, but i have caught beaver in them. would love 2 c pics and good luck and Merry Christmas!!
JD
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson
kc9djp
Two Star Rear Admiral
Two Star Rear Admiral

Postby kc9djp » Dec Fri 23, 2011 7:42 pm

Ericjeeper wrote:After all these years, it is way to late to worry about that beauty sleep.. the damage is done!
Go get them yotes..

:rotf In my case, it is about maintaining ugly. Go get them Yotes, look forward to some pics

Before you diagnose yourself as having low self esteem and depression, make sure that you have not surrounded yourself with pinheads and rejects.
Yaz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Yaz » Dec Fri 23, 2011 9:52 pm

Ericjeeper wrote:After all these years, it is way to late to worry about that beauty sleep.. the damage is done!

I'm trying to keep it from getting worse!!! :mrgreen:

I'm not real good at snaring. But, I've done enough to catch a few. I'll try to take some pic's of my favorite locations. The good thing about snares is they work in all kind of weather. Its better in deep snow where you can see them going under fences, etc.
Yaz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Yaz » Jan Wed 04, 2012 8:32 pm

IFORGEIRON wrote:YAZ,,
Get some pics bud,, i never really did snares much, but i have caught beaver in them. would love 2 c pics and good luck and Merry Christmas!!
JD

You asked....... :mrgreen:

Some of my favorite coyote snaring spots. I FINALLY think I got figured out the best way to hang the snares to keep them centered in the openings, and keeping the yotes from spinning them out of their way as they pass......I THINK. Like I said, I've nailed several, but still have a LOT to learn, and have a lot of misses. I can take some closeups of the actual set. Maybe somebody can tell ME if I have them hung correctly.

Trail set through a nasty thicket. I placed a few blocker sticks, and overhead branches high enough to force them to duck their head. Added a little brush to the side to keep them from side stepping it.

This is my favorite set. A double corner post. A long time ago, I nailed a board about 18" off the ground between the two posts. Just enough to make a yote duck under, but high enough to keep other critters from messing up the snare.

Here is one I found just today. It is also in a corner, so the good fences should funnel them right to this hole. It is actually a wash under the fence. You can't tell, but it is 3' deep by a foot wide. I intersects a huge wash that goes into a creek bottom. Good travel corridor for them. I hung one in there today. I may have to adjust the height of the snare a couple times to get it right. it was hard to visualize what they are doing here since its so deep.

This was an opening in a fence. I put a cattle panel in it. Actually, to re-route the deer toward my stand. I kept it up off the ground. Now the yotes are coming under it.
Raisin' Striper
IA TEAM MEMBER, IA Striper HOF(X2), IA Wiper HOF, 5th 2013 Bash
IA TEAM MEMBER, IA Striper HOF(X2), IA Wiper HOF, 5th 2013 Bash

Postby Raisin' Striper » Jan Wed 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Thats neat. :coolth The pics really helped me understand what your doing. Whats that sound like when you get one in there?
Great Day to be an American-Bad Day to be a Fish!
Yaz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Yaz » Jan Wed 04, 2012 11:36 pm

It still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck to walk out on a coyote in a snare or trap. :shock: They'll howl, growl, and bark. More of an adrenalin rush than taking a deer for me.
dadair
Commander
Commander

Postby dadair » Jan Thu 05, 2012 7:03 am

Nice pics. Good luck!

Return to “Trapping”