Cleaning Traps

Wild Game Trapping Pictures, Tips, and Techniques
Greenedog
2014 IA Online contest Deerhunting Runner Up
2014 IA Online contest Deerhunting Runner Up

Cleaning Traps

Postby Greenedog » Dec Wed 05, 2012 6:34 pm

I haven't trapped since I was a kid, but with all the cool trapping threads on here last year, it really got me to thinking about it again. I went up to Mom and Dad's to see if any of our old traps were still there. The conibears were gone (and that's what I really enjoyed doing; trapping rats), but I did find a pile of leg holds. Unfortunately, they had fallen on the floor at sometime through the years and were pretty much just a pile of rust.

I banged them together to get the big rust chunks off and then put them in a plastic tub. I poured in a gallon of vinegar and enough water to submerge them. I let them soak for 2 days and then hit them with the power washer this evening...

Not bad for a pile of traps that had been setting on the floor of a chicken coop/dog park for the past 30 years!
Still not sure if they're usable; the springs might be shot, but I figure after a good dye & wax, they'd at least be worth some $$ as "cabin decor" on ebay. ;)
Gillgetter22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Cleaning Traps

Postby Gillgetter22 » Dec Wed 05, 2012 7:17 pm

how much would you want for those greenedog?
If i could fish 365 days a year, i would!
Flat Bob
IA walleye HOF, IA white bass HOF, IA wiper HOF
IA walleye HOF, IA white bass HOF, IA wiper HOF

Postby Flat Bob » Dec Wed 05, 2012 8:34 pm

That's a helluva difference!!! Didn't know vinegar would do that.
shovelholdsdirt
IA Crappie HOF
IA Crappie HOF

Postby shovelholdsdirt » Dec Wed 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Wow, nice work and good tip. I hear rats are up this year. Talked to a guy on the river and he told me they were going for $13...... :dunno though.
Charlie
IA TEAM MEMBER, 2011 IA Online Open Water Tournament Runner-up, 2012 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, IA Online Open water Tournament 3rd place
IA TEAM MEMBER, 2011 IA Online Open Water Tournament Runner-up, 2012 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, IA Online Open water Tournament 3rd place

Postby Charlie » Dec Thu 20, 2012 2:10 am

Dye ? Take a 5ga metal bucket boil then in it with walnut hulls, or sumack berries. Will turn them black with walnut hulls. And deep blue with sumach berrys
Last edited by Charlie on Dec Wed 05, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Trapping”