DNR looking for tagged chinook salmon

Post your River, Creek, and Stream Fishing Reports and Information here.

Moderators: MC_angler, Heisenburg, luvndabeers

MC_angler
2015 Princecraft Award Winner

DNR looking for tagged chinook salmon

Postby MC_angler » Oct Wed 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Some of you may be aware of this, some may not:

every single Chinook salmon stocked into Lake Michigan (by all agencies) has been tagged and marked with an adipose fin clip. (look here to see what the fin looks like before and after being clipped) http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/salmon/selec ... o_fins.jpg

Here is a summary of last year's findings in Indiana http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/EventL ... _id=142392

This mass marking program started in 2011. So there are 2 year classes of tagged chinook salmon in the Indiana tributaries right now.

Indiana DNR is asking for the help of fishermen to collect heads of tagged chinook salmon. Especially from Salt Creek, Deep River, and the Little Calumet River. These areas are hard for the DNR to sample and they do not want to kill fish before anglers have a chance to catch the fish.

If you catch a chinook salmon without an adipose fin, you can just cut the top jaw off and put the snout in a ziploc bag marked with the date and where it was captured.

the Indiana DNR would love it if you turned in the head of that fish to them at their Lake Michigan office in Michigan City
“Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher 'standard of living' is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free. For us of the minority, the opportunity to see geese is more important than television.”
― Aldo Leopold
Felix
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash, 2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash,  2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ

Re: DNR looking for tagged chinook salmon

Postby Felix » Oct Wed 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Great Post. I have pinned this to the top to keep it from getting lost.
Thanks for the info!
The time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted!!

Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason!

I didn't vote for him............
Nobote
Captain
Captain

Postby Nobote » Oct Wed 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Heres the photo. Adipose means fat or fatty connective tissue....so its the lil blubbery fin behind the dorsal. I wish I had known this last Friday. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You never see a fishing boat parked in front of a psychiatrists office .....
MC_angler

Postby MC_angler » Oct Wed 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Awesome, thanks Nobote. Should have thought to just add the photo rather than a link, d'oh!
“Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher 'standard of living' is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free. For us of the minority, the opportunity to see geese is more important than television.”
― Aldo Leopold
fire831
IA TEAM MEMBER

Postby fire831 » Oct Thu 24, 2013 12:15 am

Made me mad after I done it but my first two that I caught couple weeks ago was missing the fin. I didn't think about it until after I had run them down the disposal at the Mich City Marina cleaning station. Shows where my mind has been I guess.
MC_angler

Postby MC_angler » Aug Wed 13, 2014 8:12 am

Just a reminder for the upcoming stream salmon season - ALL hatchery Chinooks in Lake Michigan (1, 2, and 3 year olds) are marked with an adipose clip and a coded wire tag. We expect most Chinook salmon returning to Indiana tributaries should be hatchery fish, so almost all the fish you catch in our streams should be tagged.

Indiana DNR and the USFWS are looking for tagged salmon in Indiana tributaries, Salt Creek, Little Calumet, Deep River especially, but also Trail Creek.

If you catch one and want to turn it in, you can remove the head by cutting the snout off, starting just behind the eyes. We don't need the bottom jaw, just the top half of the head.

Then bag the head individually with a note saying when and where it was caught, freeze, and turn into the Indiana DNR Lake Michigan Office at 100 West Water Street, Michigan City (phone 219-874-6824)

If you catch want to know the age and where/when the salmon you caught was stocked, you can leave your information at the office and I will make a note in the database, and notify folks when we get the information back.
― Aldo Leopold
bwteal
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby bwteal » Oct Sun 26, 2014 5:44 pm

Ben, I've been seeing quite a few steelie in the joe with their left pec fin missing/clipped. Does that mean anything? Are they tagged and does Bodine want them back?
Have Perch...will travel...
Dean

Return to “Rivers, Creeks, and Streams Fishing Reports and Information”