Making a switch

Post your River, Creek, and Stream Fishing Reports and Information here.

Moderators: MC_angler, Heisenburg, luvndabeers

NWIangler
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Making a switch

Postby NWIangler » Sep Thu 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Ok so ive been doing an awful lot of fly fishing this year and after landing my first salmon on they fly i decided i want to make a switch to only fly fishing and centerpinning. Im gonna put up all of my conventional rods for sale once i figure out what im gonna price them at. I was curious if anyone knew any good fly rod brands for a good price. Also any good fly line brands. Ive been using rio smallmouth line (for $80 its worth it) for streamers and and other bulky flies but im curious if there is anything else that would be well suited.
MattOutdoors
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Making a switch

Postby MattOutdoors » Sep Thu 28, 2017 10:31 pm

If there's an Orvis store nearby I'd go there, the guys there are usually amazing and know their stuff. I just get the Clearwater line since I never use dry flies for salmon or steelhead and I find it great to swing streams and drift nymphs with
teardrop
Commander
Commander

Postby teardrop » Sep Fri 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Fly tackle is $$$ but there is good equipment reasonably priced. Reddington, st. Croix even Orvis and sage have decent priced rods and reels. Lines very depending on what your doing and can get expensive, look in the clearance bins sometimes they can be real good deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was charmed to learn that the pygmies of the Ituri forest cure eye infections by urinating in the bad eye(Trout Madness,1960).
Mrhighlife
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Mrhighlife » Sep Fri 29, 2017 1:39 pm

NWIangler wrote:Ok so ive been doing an awful lot of fly fishing this year and after landing my first salmon on they fly i decided i want to make a switch to only fly fishing and centerpinning. Im gonna put up all of my conventional rods for sale once i figure out what im gonna price them at. I was curious if anyone knew any good fly rod brands for a good price. Also any good fly line brands. Ive been using rio smallmouth line (for $80 its worth it) for streamers and and other bulky flies but im curious if there is anything else that would be well suited.

What weight of Fly Rod do you use for Steelhead and salmon? Thought about getting into this as well.
Prybis
IA Military Veteran
IA Military Veteran

Postby Prybis » Sep Fri 29, 2017 4:38 pm

Mrhighlife wrote:
NWIangler wrote:Ok so ive been doing an awful lot of fly fishing this year and after landing my first salmon on they fly i decided i want to make a switch to only fly fishing and centerpinning. Im gonna put up all of my conventional rods for sale once i figure out what im gonna price them at. I was curious if anyone knew any good fly rod brands for a good price. Also any good fly line brands. Ive been using rio smallmouth line (for $80 its worth it) for streamers and and other bulky flies but im curious if there is anything else that would be well suited.

What weight of Fly Rod do you use for Steelhead and salmon? Thought about getting into this as well.

It all depends on where you are fishing. In Ohio for Steelies you can get away with a 6 or even a 5. For salmon you probably want at least an 8. Here in Indiana I would use an 8 for either but you may want to go up for salmon. Smaller creeks are harder to cast in but can be done. You also need to get them in quicker without them taking to much line or drag. Get them on the reel as soon as possible and use the drag.
Mike P.
turk
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby turk » Oct Mon 02, 2017 11:06 am

I've got like 10 different lines that I use for different types of flies and depths. For the creeks I use the Rio steelhead/salmon floating line

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Return to “Rivers, Creeks, and Streams Fishing Reports and Information”