Trail Creek Questions

Post your River, Creek, and Stream Fishing Reports and Information here.

Moderators: MC_angler, Heisenburg, luvndabeers

JohnM68
Ensign
Ensign

Trail Creek Questions

Postby JohnM68 » Oct Tue 03, 2017 5:07 pm

New member here. I'm planning on taking my son to fish Trail Creek for steelies or whatever other salmonoids we can get on Saturday. I've never fished for steelhead before and am wondering if anyone has any tips to help us possibly land a fish. We'll be bringing 2 spinning rigs to fish spawn sacs, a baitcaster to throw some lures and a fly rod. Any recs for techniques or lures/flies? Not interested in asking for your spots or honey holes--hopefully this will be the first of many trips and we are willing to put in the legwork--just wondering if there is any advice for a beginner. Thanks in advance..
MC_angler
2015 Princecraft Award Winner
2015 Princecraft Award Winner

Re: Trail Creek Questions

Postby MC_angler » Oct Tue 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Do a search on this forum for steelhead help and fishing trail creek. Many good threads on it

I would leave the fly rod and baitcaster on your first trip. Most areas of the creek are not that conducive to either of those.

Fresh spawn sacs help a lot

Keep moving, spend 10-15 minutes per hole max, unless you see tons of fish moving through. If a fish is in the hole and is going to bite, they do it pretty quickly

Keep an eye on the weather. It's hard to predict this far in advance, but calling for a decent amount of rain Thurs/Fri/Sat

Possible it will be perfect conditions, or it's possible Trail Creek will be a muddy overflowing mess, depending on how much rain actually falls
“Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher 'standard of living' is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free. For us of the minority, the opportunity to see geese is more important than television.”
― Aldo Leopold
JohnM68
Ensign
Ensign

Postby JohnM68 » Oct Tue 03, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks much. I found some good info by searching as well. When you say fresh spawn sacs, does that mean that the jarred ones I just ordered won't be any good? I can stop at the bait shop on my way and see if they have fresh ones if it will make a difference.
Mrhighlife
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Mrhighlife » Oct Tue 03, 2017 11:15 pm

JohnM68 wrote:Thanks much. I found some good info by searching as well. When you say fresh spawn sacs, does that mean that the jarred ones I just ordered won't be any good? I can stop at the bait shop on my way and see if they have fresh ones if it will make a difference.

Yes fresh spawn is better. Chiefs Bait Shop in Michigan usually has spawn sacks and skein for sale.
JohnM68
Ensign
Ensign

Postby JohnM68 » Oct Sat 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Hit Trail Creek today with my son. No luck--used spawn (jarred sacs) and had a couple bumps, but nothing hooked up. Water was murky, but saw a few fish gliding by. Still, always a good day fishing with my son, and we'll definitely be back soon, with some fresh spawn and some shrimp as a back-up. Pleasantly surprised how quick we got there--left the near western suburbs of Chicago at 6am and had lines in the water by 745.
beutlerjc
Ensign
Ensign

Re: RE: Re: Trail Creek Questions

Postby beutlerjc » Oct Sat 07, 2017 8:28 pm

JohnM68 wrote:Hit Trail Creek today with my son. No luck--used spawn (jarred sacs) and had a couple bumps, but nothing hooked up. Water was murky, but saw a few fish gliding by. Still, always a good day fishing with my son, and we'll definitely be back soon, with some fresh spawn and some shrimp as a back-up. Pleasantly surprised how quick we got there--left the near western suburbs of Chicago at 6am and had lines in the water by 745.
No fish is better than not fishing. Always better when you have tour boy with you! Hope the cooler weather and the rain helps. Need so.e fresh fish up.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Return to “Rivers, Creeks, and Streams Fishing Reports and Information”