Shrimp.. what flavor???

Post your River, Creek, and Stream Fishing Reports and Information here.

Moderators: MC_angler, Heisenburg, luvndabeers

beutlerjc
Ensign
Ensign

Shrimp.. what flavor???

Postby beutlerjc » Oct Sat 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Anyone want to ring in on what they add to their shift for fishing the salmons and steelies? I've heard garlic salt, also rasberry jello.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
NWIangler
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Shrimp.. what flavor???

Postby NWIangler » Oct Sat 14, 2017 4:59 pm

beutlerjc wrote:Anyone want to ring in on what they add to their shift for fishing the salmons and steelies? I've heard garlic salt, also rasberry jello.

I like to add borx'o fire or fire cure to mine. Fire brine is also good.
smallmouthfisher
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby smallmouthfisher » Oct Sat 14, 2017 5:19 pm

Omg lol i laugh at this out loud.. these fish are from the west coast and grown in farms and released.. i dont think they have different type of shrimp.. lol natural is the best

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
viper0463
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby viper0463 » Oct Sat 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Ok so here goes, for shrimp I use large cooked shrimp and break off a chunk about 1/2" long. If I cure shrimp I use a pink or purple cure of borax, salt and sugar also I use raw large shrimp for curing. With eggs I use a red cure I buy from the west coast and that's all I use, either steelhead formula or salmon formula based on what they will be used for. I use a #4 egg hook as a start and either go up or down 1 size depending on conditions. Any other questionsuggestions on my setups let me know.
beutlerjc
Ensign
Ensign

Re: RE: Re: Shrimp.. what flavor???

Postby beutlerjc » Oct Sat 14, 2017 9:41 pm

viper0463 wrote:Ok so here goes, for shrimp I use large cooked shrimp and break off a chunk about 1/2" long. If I cure shrimp I use a pink or purple cure of borax, salt and sugar also I use raw large shrimp for curing. With eggs I use a red cure I buy from the west coast and that's all I use, either steelhead formula or salmon formula based on what they will be used for. I use a #4 egg hook as a start and either go up or down 1 size depending on conditions. Any other questionsuggestions on my setups let me know.
Thanks viper. That's why I dig this site. Open and honest, no answer is wrong only a preference.

fishaddiction
Ensign
Ensign

Postby fishaddiction » Oct Sun 15, 2017 8:26 am

smallmouthfisher wrote:Omg lol i laugh at this out loud.. these fish are from the west coast and grown in farms and released.. i dont think they have different type of shrimp.. lol natural is the best

:wow
That is funny! Our fish come from a hatchery in Indiana. They did originally come from the Pacific northwest some 40 to 50 years ago.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but, attainable.
A perpetual series of occassions for hope.
"unknown"
beutlerjc
Ensign
Ensign

Re: RE: Re: Shrimp.. what flavor???

Postby beutlerjc » Oct Sun 15, 2017 9:41 am

fishaddiction wrote:
smallmouthfisher wrote:Omg lol i laugh at this out loud.. these fish are from the west coast and grown in farms and released.. i dont think they have different type of shrimp.. lol natural is the best

:wow
That is funny! Our fish come from a hatchery in Indiana. They did originally come from the Pacific northwest some 40 to 50 years ago.
No,but shrimp is the bait that people are using now and its catching fish. I'm just trying to learn, so thanks for your positive feedback.

turk
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby turk » Oct Mon 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Shrimp works. Don't really have to do anything with it either. I use shrimp straight out of the bag from the grocery store. Obviously u can whatever u want. I can't really help u with suggestions but I'll back you up. Shrimp works. It doesn't matter if the fish have ever seen it before or not. If it smells and/or looks like potential food, they'll go after it. Maybe lightly, but nevertheless

elandmichl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby elandmichl » Oct Mon 16, 2017 9:45 pm

In my experience the cooked shrimp perform better than the raw stuff.

I like to use some fire brine and make them pink.

I also soak them in garlic juice. That's good for a hit or two.

Anise oil is also a good scent.
viper0463
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby viper0463 » Oct Mon 16, 2017 10:16 pm

elandmichl wrote:In my experience the cooked shrimp perform better than the raw stuff.

I like to use some fire brine and make them pink.

I also soak them in garlic juice. That's good for a hit or two.

Anise oil is also a good scent.

I use cooked shrimp primarily but, I just use it straight from the package. If I want to use some cure I'll get raw shrimp for that as it seems to soak up the cure much better than cooked shrimp.

Return to “Rivers, Creeks, and Streams Fishing Reports and Information”