Steelhead

Post your River, Creek, and Stream Fishing Reports and Information here.

Moderators: MC_angler, Heisenburg, luvndabeers

zseiler13
Ensign
Ensign

Steelhead

Postby zseiler13 » Nov Sun 19, 2017 12:22 am

I asked this question the other day and didn't get much response so I'll try to make it more clear. When we are waiting on a fresh push of fish to come into trail creek where do they "hang out" before they come down the creek. I know there are always fish in the creeks but when we're waiting on fresh batch of fish to come in I would think they would concentrate somewhere. I usually just go to a few of the public access spots but I would like to know how the run works from the time they come in until the time they go back to the lake so I can go pick a better area to target. I do get out and fish when I can but I would like to understand how they move in the creeks a little better to catch more fish.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
ifish4fish
Ensign
Ensign

Re: RE: Steelhead

Postby ifish4fish » Nov Sun 19, 2017 12:24 am

zseiler13 wrote:I asked this question the other day and didn't get much response so I'll try to make it more clear. When we are waiting on a fresh push of fish to come into trail creek where do they "hang out" before they come down the creek. I know there are always fish in the creeks but when we're waiting on fresh batch of fish to come in I would think they would concentrate somewhere. I usually just go to a few of the public access spots but I would like to know how the run works from the time they come in until the time they go back to the lake so I can go pick a better area to target. I do get out and fish when I can but I would like to understand how they move in the creeks a little better to catch more fish.

Try the mouths of the tributaries on lake Michigan. It's been really slow. What creek are you fishing also?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
ifish4fish
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Steelhead

Postby ifish4fish » Nov Sun 19, 2017 12:26 am

They usually wait for rain to push in but the last few rains haven't done us any good in my opinion. It will pick up soon

zseiler13
Ensign
Ensign

Postby zseiler13 » Nov Sun 19, 2017 12:29 am

I fish trail only pretty much. I've been on the pier in mc the last few weeks and have done decent on lake trout but I only saw 2 steelies caught. I know they will be in this winter but I would like to get them at the beginning of their run for a change.

ifish4fish
Ensign
Ensign

Postby ifish4fish » Nov Sun 19, 2017 12:35 am

I would just keep trying. They seem to be barely trickling in right now but something will give and they will start to show up. I would maybe be trying the Y there should be fish up there but this rain could've screwed us for a while

zseiler13
Ensign
Ensign

Postby zseiler13 » Nov Sun 19, 2017 12:40 am

Yeah I will. I'm a glutton for punishment. I don't mind getting skunked every now and then but it would be nice to catch the beginning of a run every now and not have a bunch of jittery fish that have been beat up all the way down the creek.

ifish4fish
Ensign
Ensign

Postby ifish4fish » Nov Sun 19, 2017 12:46 am

It seems like the summer fish are always spooked especially when it's warm and low. And the way I look at it is if you can see the fish they can see you. But the Y is a good spot to try for not very pressure fish. They have to go through there before they go up any higher

smallmouthfisher
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby smallmouthfisher » Nov Sun 19, 2017 12:51 am

Runs depend on moon, sun, weather, temps and times, water level, and so on. If it was that easy there would be no fish everyone would know. Also the run isnt like a horse race when they all just run up. I been fishing for 15 years for steelies and 2 times in my life i was at one of my gem holes and pods of fresh fish pushing up and up.

One of my best days i had a winter run hit me and i landed 15 fish with out moving to another spot. I ran out of skein lol. Fished from 5am to 5pm and was once in a life time.

The other time i was at MC peir not a soul on the pier and my bait down 7ft and it was non stop catching all day. Fish were stagged and ready to push up Trail

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
zseiler13
Ensign
Ensign

Postby zseiler13 » Nov Sun 19, 2017 1:00 am

Ok maybe that's what my problem is. I had a couple summers in my teens I remember where it was just one after another and I've been hoping for a couple days like that again. I used to be able to fish a lot more than i can now but i go when i can. I appreciate the responses from everyone.

Daybreak
One Star Rear Admiral
One Star Rear Admiral

Postby Daybreak » Nov Sun 19, 2017 9:26 am

I fished the Muskegon river in Michigan on 11/8. A guy from that area I talked to said they had a good October, but the last several weeks have been much slower. It should pick back up later in November usually. When I fished the St. Joe a lot 10 years ago, my best trips came in late November. I think there is still lots of time to have a great year.
LUND, The Ultimate Fishing Experience

Return to “Rivers, Creeks, and Streams Fishing Reports and Information”