Cured and Brined.

Post your outdoor cuisine recipes here.

Moderators: Felix, fishlips

fisherdee
Captain
Captain

Cured and Brined.

Postby fisherdee » Nov Fri 25, 2016 3:55 pm

Did a little smoking yesterday. It all turned out swell.
For the jerky used some Hi Country cure and seasoning. Applied seasoning dry and put in bag 24 hours in frig. Used about 5# of Eye of Round Roast. Makes good jerky because it is so lean. Jerky was partially frozen to firm it up and cut with slicer to 1/4" strips. Steamed the Jerky in the smoker first to reach 160deg. only took about 20 min using a remote thermometer, just fold the jerky over the probe.

top two racks are Jerky after the Steaming.

Finished Jerky, After cooling put in large baggie to redistribute the moisture for 24 hours. Then vac pack.

How much would you pay for this in a store! Nice out on the boat.

Next was the salmon. Used Hi Mountain Salmon seasoning. Mixed packet to gallon of water. Cut Salmon into strips and placed in cooled brine. Brined about 24 hours in cooler. Outside was cold enough otherwise you need to refrigerate or add ice. Rinsed brine off in cool water. Let air dry about an hour before adding to smoker. used meat probe to get salmon to 160. Done and delish!

Next was the turkey legs and a Breast. Both were brined overnight in Rosemary, Thyme and Sage brine. After brining rinsed off the brine. Patted dry and then add some olive oil and Apple Rub with Lemon Pepper Seasoning. When the salmon was done I put the probe in the Turkey legs, Pulled them at 165.

After pulling the Legs put the probe in the Breast. It smoke a couple more hours to 165. Delish!

Had some fun with this. Smoking what was called Chicken Paws! Freaked out my family and friends. Pulled them off when the Salmon was done. Snip the claws off with some side cutters and Zakk thinks are great!
Wife said I should have put one of those in each packet of the Jerky for Zakk... good idea for next time, he loves them and I wont have to give him my jerky.. Although he loves that too!

Smoke was my applewood.
"Retired - Now I only fish the good days, not just the off days!"
http://www.fisherdee.wordpress.com
hilly77p
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF
IA Team Member, Bluegill HOF

Re: Cured and Brined.

Postby hilly77p » Nov Fri 25, 2016 4:31 pm

Geez!! What a spread. Looks very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salt
2010 IA Deerhunting Co-Champ, 2011 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 IA Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Walleye HOF X2
2010 IA Deerhunting Co-Champ, 2011 IA Mushroom Contest Champion,  IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 IA  Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Deerhunting Champion,  2014 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, IA Walleye HOF X2

Postby Salt » Nov Fri 25, 2016 4:43 pm

That looks really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image Image Image Image
jimmycrown
IAIFS Staff
IAIFS Staff

Postby jimmycrown » Nov Fri 25, 2016 4:48 pm

Wow impressive.
bubbagill
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS NC Manager, 2013 IAIFS Runner-up, 2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY RUNNER UP
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS NC Manager, 2013 IAIFS Runner-up, 2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY RUNNER UP

Postby bubbagill » Nov Fri 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Wow Dee you were a busy boy. I'm impressed man it all looks delicious. :coolth
Marking reds, catching greens.
Go Cubs Go
All lives matter.
natahka72
Captain
Captain

Postby natahka72 » Nov Fri 25, 2016 10:39 pm

Never thought I'd be hungry again after yesterday, but now I am!!! Nice work!!

Return to “Recipes”