October compilation

Post your Central Indiana Angling Reports, Information, and Bait Shops here.

Moderator: topwaterbass

fishtone
Ensign
Ensign

October compilation

Postby fishtone » Oct Sun 29, 2017 8:11 pm

How's it going all. After starting the new job last month and not getting much fishing time in I've adjusted and have been able to scratch the itch. Still doing ok in the reservoirs for crappie and catfish but one of my highlights is the pond next to my work. There are not any big ones but plenty of lbers that are eager to bite. Its great to be able to make a few cast before and after work and get a handful. Also it finally happened, after many attempts at smallmouth fishing and failing, the planets aligned! Been able to catch them pretty consistently and especially last week week right before the cold front. Got some decent ones. Love these fish, they are aggressive and pull. Question for you guys, I've been only been able to catch the smallmouth on reaction baits. What happens when it gets even colder? Will these things shut down? The water I'm fishing is gin clear, is that why I cant catch any on plastics? nothing on senkos, tubes, and worms. And last question, what does everyone like to fish in the winter here? I heard there is ice fishing further north but any other options or ideas?

Thanks for reading!

Goosepond Monster
IA Bluegill HOF 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up
IA Bluegill HOF 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up

Re: October compilation

Postby Goosepond Monster » Oct Sun 29, 2017 11:08 pm

Float and fly in the deep holes for winter smallies. Gin clear water that is low requires bomb casts. I catch 90% of my smallies on a tube, so they should definitely go for a tube.
fishlips
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion
2014 Online Ice Tourney Champion, 2014 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, Largemouth HOF, 2016 Princecraft Award Winner, 2017 Mushroom Contest Champion

Postby fishlips » Oct Mon 30, 2017 8:01 am

Great pics,keep on em
handyandy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby handyandy » Oct Mon 30, 2017 12:41 pm

Flukes, soft craws, and tubes all in natural colors are my go to for smallies even in clear water. For clear water natural colors work best for me or at least I have more confidence in them. My if in doubt bait that always seems to get me something is a white fluke. Jewel sculpins are a good clear creek/stream bait. If the water is stained I'll go for little brighter or darker colors. Don't ask me on winter smallies I have yet to master winter smallies I'm hoping to get some float n fly fishing in this winter but we'll see. I have also caught plenty of smallies even in clear water with spinners, jerkbaits, wake baits, and top waters. Just depends really. Bomb cast can help but I've caught plenty of smallies within eye shot in clear water or in cover I was pretty darn close to or over top with a kayak or boat. You can never go wrong with live bait from the water your fishing. I'm a fan of a sein net, but that isn't ideal in the winter.
why does everything have to get in the way of fishing and hunting?
Greg2ha
Commander
Commander

Postby Greg2ha » Nov Thu 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Great pics!

Return to “Central Indiana Fishing Reports and Information”