opinion on bowfishing

Post your Bow Fishing reports and tips here.

Moderator: Yooper

hoosiercarpkiller
2011 IA Online Contest Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Online Contest Deerhunting Champion
2011 IA Online Contest Deerhunting Champion, 2014 IA Online Contest Deerhunting Champion

opinion on bowfishing

Postby hoosiercarpkiller » May Wed 25, 2011 7:57 pm

ive been on the water a few times and have had people upset with the idea of bowfishing. a few have been anglers. i just want to see what people think of it. also how would you feel if someone was to shoot a new state record with a bow instead of useing a fishing pole, would you allow it? dont hold back i want to hear honest opinions.
genesis 1:26 "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."
dakota
IA Military Veteran, 2010 IA Online Openwater Tourney Runner-up
IA Military Veteran, 2010 IA Online Openwater Tourney Runner-up

Re: opinion on bowfishing

Postby dakota » May Wed 25, 2011 8:32 pm

I say if thats your thing then do it. Its legal so why not. Im not going to bash anyone for doing it, but im not out to kill something and not eat it.
If im killin' it im grillin' it, but thats just me.
As far as shooting a state record with a bow I think it should be caught on rod and reel, and maybe have a bow fishing record
Semper Fi

;IGY6

God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day
And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray
When in the Lord's safe landing net I'm peacefully asleep
That in his mercy I be judged as good enough to keep
crappiehunter

Postby crappiehunter » May Wed 25, 2011 8:36 pm

I don't have any problem with it, enjoy yourself.
bubbagill
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS NC Manager, 2013 IAIFS Runner-up, 2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY RUNNER UP
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS NC Manager, 2013 IAIFS Runner-up, 2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY RUNNER UP

Postby bubbagill » May Wed 25, 2011 8:49 pm

As far as record fish I personally am on the "rod and Reel" side of it. But as Far as you shooting Fish with your bow I say knock em dead and have a ball. :beerchug
Marking reds, catching greens.
Go Cubs Go
All lives matter.
FISHAHOLIC19
Captain
Captain

Postby FISHAHOLIC19 » May Wed 25, 2011 9:05 pm

I agree the state record should come on rod and reel.
I do bow fish, It's a blast anyone that hasn't done it should give it a try sometime.
Cattitude
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Cattitude » May Wed 25, 2011 10:31 pm

I think they should have a state record for bow-fishing and rod and reel. I have never bow fished before but if it was just for carp i would give it a try. But I also believe in CPR or if I kill it im eating it. I don't like to see fish go to waste unless its an nonnative species like Asian Carp. Killing of fish for the fun is what causes extinct fish or small numbers in lakes and rivers. Fish is a big part of our world and circle of life. I can keep going on and on about this and may get off subject. So if bow-fishing is your sport i say go for it but it shouldn't be done all the time. Carp may be kinda useless to some people but they are bottom feeders and they do have their purpose. What would our lakes and rivers look like if we didn't have those bottom feeders? lol This is off subject buy I stand by it firm. Lets keep our lakes, river, oceans, and yes even our ponds clean! Pick up your trash and everyone elses that is left behind. If everyone does their part we will have nice clean waters for our fish and ourselves. keep the circle going!! Sorry if this offends anyone I dont mean to. Everyone has their beliefs. I prolly went a little far on this subject. lol
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit and a pure sincerity of mind
ImageImage
Charlie
IA TEAM MEMBER, 2011 IA Online Open Water Tournament Runner-up, 2012 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, IA Online Open water Tournament 3rd place
IA TEAM MEMBER, 2011 IA Online Open Water Tournament Runner-up, 2012 IA Online Open Water Tournament Champion, IA Online Open water Tournament 3rd place

Postby Charlie » May Wed 25, 2011 10:56 pm

I use to whack them pretty good back in my youth along the white river in Muncie,even won a carp shooting contest at Paul's archery shop getting the largest that summer( 18# + ? a tad over 18#s) so wouldn't be right for me to have a problem with people bow hunting carp. Have at it and enjoy your self.My favorite lure was a 45# bear recurve LOL
Some people get real personal about it, but heck they are almost a real fish LOL ! Really to bad they are not a good food fish as we would keep their population in check like all other game fish. But please don't just dump them around the launch ramp areas, or dump them back in the water at the ramp, have seen both these things done, and everyone don't need the mess. Only add's fuel to the battle over hunting them.
wallydiven

Postby wallydiven » May Wed 25, 2011 11:12 pm

Charlie wrote:I use to whack them pretty good back in my youth along the white river in Muncie,even won a carp shooting contest at Paul's archery shop getting the largest that summer( 18# + ? a tad over 18#s) so wouldn't be right for me to have a problem with people bow hunting carp. Have at it and enjoy your self.My favorite lure was a 45# bear recurve LOL
Some people get real personal about it, but heck they are almost a real fish LOL ! Really to bad they are not a good food fish as we would keep their population in check like all other game fish. But please don't just dump them around the launch ramp areas, or dump them back in the water at the ramp, have seen both these things done, and everyone don't need the mess. Only add's fuel to the battle over hunting them.

Agreed. I love watching people do it, but a few weeks back at Webster lake there were about 40 laying at the launch. It turned alot of peoples heads. Do something more prodoctive with them please. As for a record, rod n reel.
FMJ

Postby FMJ » May Thu 26, 2011 2:39 pm

Charlie wrote:I use to whack them pretty good back in my youth along the white river in Muncie,even won a carp shooting contest at Paul's archery shop getting the largest that summer( 18# + ? a tad over 18#s) so wouldn't be right for me to have a problem with people bow hunting carp. Have at it and enjoy your self.My favorite lure was a 45# bear recurve LOL

Yep, yep! I used to Whack 'em and Stack 'em in my youth shooting them out of the ditches in N.Mi. Kept my "instinctive" shooting skills sharp in the off season. My favorite lure was a 45# Bear Kodiak recurve! :coolth Still have that old bow...hear tell its a hot commodity in the archery collectors world. Someday, i may even tell the tale of Fred Bear, my dad and that bow.

1) carp arent terrible to eat. I just wouldnt make steady diet of 'em. Get that mud vein and your good to go. Smoked carp is pretty dern tasty.

2) in my youth we would toss 'em in the fields. The farmers plow made short work of them and they make terrific fertilizer. If you have a garden at home, take them home and impress your neighbors with the size of your veggies in the fall.

As far as records, bow fishing should have its own category separate from the rod and reel category.
Cattitude
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Cattitude » May Thu 26, 2011 6:36 pm

really carp make great fertilizer huh. that good to know. i may just have to try that out. If i just have a small garden how do i cut them up to spread out?
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit and a pure sincerity of mind
ImageImage

Return to “Bow Fishing”