Kayak Bass Classic Wrap Up Article

Moderators: Kayakhank, Crappie yaker, callowayDUDE

Crappie yaker
Ensign
Ensign

Kayak Bass Classic Wrap Up Article

Postby Crappie yaker » Oct Sat 05, 2013 10:58 pm

Here's the article I am sending to all of our sponsors as a wrap up for the tourney today.

I am unbelievably impressed with our local kayak fishing community. Kayak fishing is a fairly new and growing sport in this area, and as such; the kayak fishing community is not well established. This event was the first of its kind in our area, so when we started planning it, we hoped to get 10 or so people together for a small tournament to raise a few bucks for our local Heroes on the Water chapter, enjoy the fellowship that comes with getting together with like-minded people, and give away a couple hundred dollars worth of prizes. To our surprise, as the date of the event neared, more and more people started signing up, and we ended up with a total of 33 registered anglers. We were absolutely floored by the amount of support we received from our sponsors and the community. Given the better than expected response, our sponsors, Wildcat Creek Outfitters, Nurpu River and Mountain Supply, Menards, Hook1, and TFO, really brought their “A” game and provided nearly $1000 worth of gear and gift cards for us to give away as prizes.
While I knew there was a chance of rain the morning of the tournament, it was small chance, and I remained optimistic we would have good fishing weather. I awoke the morning of the event to the sound of rain pouring onto the roof of my house. My heart sank. A short while later, I stood in my garage after getting all the last minute details wrapped up, rain pouring and lightning striking repeatedly. My heart sank even deeper. I was afraid all the hard work that had been put into the planning of the tournament would be for not. I had a similar feeling as when we starting planning the event, hoping for 10 people to show up.
I arrived at the launch site about 45 minutes before scheduled launch, rain still coming down hard. But to my surprise, there were already about a half dozen people there, ready and willing to fish in the rain, along with the folks from our local Heroes on the Water chapter, who had traveled over two hours to be at the event.
We began signing in anglers. As we did, more and more people started flooding in, much like the rain, which showed no signs of letting up. In total, 25 of the registered 33 anglers braved the rain to come out and support our local HOW chapter. Luckily, for a short while, Mother Nature was on our side. We got a break in the rain around 8:30am and decided to launch. It rained on and off for the duration of the day, but while the day was less than ideal for fishing, and there were no monsters caught, most anglers were able to manage at least 1 fish. Here are the results of the tournament, which was based on each angler’s best 2 bass.
1. Keenan Chamberlain 28 ¼”
2. Tom Moore 27 ½”
3. Dan Whitley 27”
4. Jason Young 26 ¼”
5. Chase Page 25”
The winner of the big bass pot was Tom Moore with a 15 ¼” bass, and the prize for the biggest panfish went to Mike Denzel with a 10” crappie. With the biggest bass, Tom won a $100 gift card to Wildcat Creek Outfitters, which he immediately donated to Heroes on the Water! That was the icing on the cake for a day of unanticipated success!
I cannot express the gratitude I feel for our sponsors, supporters, the folks from our local Heroes on the Water chapter, and especially the 25 anglers that braved the elements to come out and fish. In total, we raised about $800 for our local Heroes on the Water chapter, plus the $100 gift card. As I said before, I am unbelievably impressed with our local kayak fishing community. I hope this event is a jumping off point for similar events in the future, and I look forward to hosting another event (or two) next year!
Frenchman83
IA Military Veteran, 2012 "Bash" Tourney Champ, 2013 IA Bass Tourney runner up, 2013 IA Online Open Water Tournament Runner-up, IA Northern Pike HOF, 2013 Indiana Fish of the Year Certificate Holder, IAIFS Staff

Re: Kayak Bass Classic Wrap Up Article

Postby Frenchman83 » Oct Sat 05, 2013 11:04 pm

Awesome job all around! I am bummed I couldn't make it but hope to be part of many events in the future.

Paul
G&G Pro Staff Member

Please excuse brevity and mistakes as this message was sent from a mobile device.
Paul
The Tug is the Drug
Reel Reel Pause, Reel Reel Twitch, Reel Reel SMACK
Rico
2011 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up, 2012 IA Icefishing Champion, 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2013 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2016 Mushroom Contest Champion
2011 IA Mushroom Contest Runner-up, 2012 IA Icefishing Champion, 2012 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2013 IA Mushroom Contest Champion, 2016 Mushroom Contest Champion

Postby Rico » Oct Sun 06, 2013 4:12 am

A job well done.
G&G Ice Pro Staff
MasterBaiter
Ensign
Ensign

Postby MasterBaiter » Oct Sun 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Guys I had a blast out there this weekend! Thanks again for putting it on!
ImageImage
Livingston Lures Regional Pro Staff
bubbagill
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS NC Manager, 2013 IAIFS Runner-up, 2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY RUNNER UP
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS NC Manager, 2013 IAIFS Runner-up, 2015 IA ONLINE ICE TOURNEY RUNNER UP

Postby bubbagill » Oct Sun 06, 2013 8:10 pm

Wow that is simply awesome. Great job, and congrats to the winners. Very cool deal with a greqt cause.
Marking reds, catching greens.
Go Cubs Go
All lives matter.
Felix
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash, 2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ
IA TEAM MEMBER, IAIFS Staff, 3rd 2013 Bash,  2013 IA Flyfishing Online Tourney Champ

Postby Felix » Oct Sun 06, 2013 10:05 pm

:coolth
Glad that IA is a part of this !!! Great job!!!
The time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted!!

Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason!

I didn't vote for him............

Return to “Central Indiana Kayak Anglers”